VistaPE and driveimage XML - free backup solution

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from Importaes
  • Topic Viewed 18418 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi everyone,

A while ago I was on the lookout for a free backupsoftware that enabled me to make an drive image.
DriveImage XML is such software, but the trouble is it doesn't have a function to create a bootCD.
There is BartPE, for Windows XP.

But now there is also VistaPE. All you need is your Vista installation CD and WinBuilder, which you can download at http://www.vistape.net/ too.

You also need to install DriveImage XML on your computer and either make your own scipt to add it, or download the one I found here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5028
(It's a download in the second post)

You can add other (simple) programs by writing your own scripts. It's not hard - I had it figured out in about half an hour using the driveimage.script as example.

There is also a tutorial on the site, that starts here:
http://www.vistape.net/vistape-quickstart.html

And here is a nice one:
http://grandstreamdreams.blogs.....basic.html

Otherwise, just google VistaPE and loads of tutorials can be found:)

I used teh recommended installation and then added the option 'Explorer' and added some apps of my own - Irfanview, IcoFx and Magic File Renamer.
Not so much because I need them on the BootCD, but because I wanted to get the hang of these scripts. LOL

Then let it build it's iso, burn the iso to a cd (or dvd if you choose to add all options there are) and you can try it out.

Or (what I did), you can install VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/
and test it before burning, so if there are any errors you won't have to throw out your freshly burned cd.

You're also welcome to the iso I made and save yourself the trouble, but then you have to show me a place where I can upload a 344 MB sized file ...

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

SarahJames,

GREAT info and Solution Input !!

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Good stuff Sarah. I read this just as I was finishing installing Ghost!

Posted 6 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I read this and it makes me glad I have Norton Ghost. However, this is an impressive achievement that you have made, Sarah! And now I have a place to refer folks to when they ask about free backup software.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

This is excellent. Congrads Sarah. BUT, I think you have to have a certain skill level to execute this procedure.

Posted 6 years ago

s0p

hi sarah, hope you would be able to help me out on this... i'm a novice novice home user hoping to do a full image backup/restore to my laptop...
trying out DriveImageXML with VistaPE by following your instructions, and that at the grandstreamdreams that u have recommended.
1. did a driveimage backup of my entire C drive onto external drive (laptop running vista business edition, with preinstalled 1 huge C partition)
2. installed windows AIK
3. unzipped WinBuilder (075) & added "Everyone" permissions to folder
4. downloaded scripts in WinBuilder "Minimum" option
5. downloaded DriveImageXML script from the link u recommended (2nd post)
6. moved this into WinBuilder's Addons folder
7. Open WinBuilder to build the environment and able to view the DriveImageXML.
8. Hit Play....
and stuck at error: FileCopy - Failed to copy
(the first time i hit this, it forced a system dump of my lappie but I've tried it again... same error)
Hope you would be able to help~ (joined this forum specially to seek your help :))
Thank you~

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor
JadeEmperor

you have 'nuff hd space?

Posted 5 years ago

s0p

oh yes (=
23G's still free~

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

s0p, do you have Vista Business on the system that you are backing up? If so, why not use the built-in Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore?

Also, from the blogspot posting, there is a mention of the error you are getting:

I reviewed the error logs and there were a lot (21) showing with "FileCopy - Failed to copy." I spent days on this until I found out that these particular errors are "normal" if you are using the WAIK Developer's kit as your source...

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ s0p - sorry hadn't seen your post till now!
Seems others have jumped in already:)
At the moment I can't test much, because I just moved and I haven't all things in place yet (like where all my CD's and DVD's are etc.) and I don't have an idea that comes to mind right now. I hope someone else can help you out!

Best wishes,
Sarah.

(I feel like letting you down - you having joined HTG just for me! LOL)

Posted 5 years ago

s0p

@ScottW
thanks for the weblink! OOPS! didn't know Vista Biz has system+applications+data backup/restore :P THANKS!!~ tot it's just files/folders *blushz* *blushz* LOLz
may i know too...
1. would vista biz complete PC backup allows me to restore by selecting files/folders to restore like DriveImage xml? (googling answers seems to say no...)
2. purchase of my laptop doesn't come with vista installation DVD and nowadays not even recovery dvds - had to create ourselves... may i know if u r aware that Vista biz full restore would work with Recovery DVDs? (googling answers seems to say no too!... something about Win RE?)
--
VistaPE+DriveImageXML: will go ahead & try it out after ignoring the errors...
--
@SarahJames no worries! everyone is very helpful here~ no regrets joining :D~ hope u moved in nicely~~

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

s0p, I don't know the answer to question #1. I don't have a Vista with Complete PC Backup, so I've never used it. It would certainly be disappointing if it didn't allow individual files and folders to be restored from a drive image.

As for question #2, I don't know if you can run Vista's image restore from the recovery environment (RE), but I do know that you can get to Windows RE without an installation DVD. First, some system integrators add the Recovery Environment to the Advanced Boot Options menu -- the "F8" menu at startup where you can also access safe mode. Also, you can get a pre-made Vista Repair CD image by following the instructions here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-have-one/

This disc will allow you to boot into Windows RE.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

It appears you cannot restore individual files from a Complete PC Backup.
"CompletePC Backups are meant for Disaster Recovery scenarios. [...] Restore of individual file is not supported." - Microsoft Employee Comment on Microsoft Storage Team Blog.

Posted 5 years ago

Importaes

Dear SarahJames,

I downloaded the iso image of vistaPe you provided and burned it. How do I use DriveImage XML once vistaPe has boot ? I don't see any shorcut so I guess I should do it using command line... ?

thanks a lot :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.