The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista System Restore effect on Microsoft Updates

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by alschuler206
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 3135 times

alschuler206

My system installed 3 Microsoft Updates for Vista on the morning of 8/29/07. Later in the day the system locked up on the desktop multiple times so I rebooted in the Windows Safe Mode. This resulted in an automatic "System Restore" to a point prior to the 3 updates. I don't know if the updates had anything to do with my problem but the system is now running fine and Microsoft Update thinks that the 3 updates are still installed.

Are the updates still installed after a system restore? Or do I need to reinstall them somehow manually?

Thank you,

Al

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

More than likely they are still installed. Especially if you've run another Update and Windows is up to date.

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

I'm not completely sure about this, but I don't think system restore necessarily uninstalls updates to the system.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

"....Once the update is downloaded, the user is presented with the opportunity to install the update on the user's system. When the user chooses to install the update, the System Restore feature will create a restore point before the actual installation of the update begins. If the user restores after files are downloaded but before the installation of the update occurs, the downloaded files will not be removed by the restore operation."

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-.....97627.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

alschuler206

The restore point that Windows Safe Mode invoked was prior to the download and installation of the updates.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Yes, but as you stated, "the system installed 3 updates....".

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!