How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista SP1 experience thread

(132 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Spacegold
  • Topic Viewed 57726 times

JadeEmperor
JadeEmperor

hi, i installed SP1 and didn't break anything. didn't see anything nor feel anything changed either. the install took interestingly long (i'm used to XP service packs install) and amusing.

laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i just got my laptop yesterday and i am loving vista so far :)

Posted 6 years ago

t2igg

Hi,
New to this, but i've been coming to howtogeek for a while. i love the site and all the information i get from here. Anyway...I installed vista ultimate w sp1 on top of xp premium because i didn't want to have to reinstall any of my games. I'm a Sims2 addict and have every last expansion pack and addon. (we all have our vices, i guess). I'm running a standard 32bit P4 2gb 300mhz. Vista installed with no problems, surprisingly. It even updated most of my xp drivers. Only one or two of my programs weren't compatible. My computer is running better than ever, but I'm finding I don't really like it much. Even after trimming down some processes using your instructions, I still have about 40 to 45 processes still running. In XP, I'd gotten it down to about 18 to 22.

I sort of like it because it's a new 'toy' for me to mess around with, something new to learn to work with. But, on the other hand, all those extra processes worry me. I expect my computer to crash as soon as I try to play the sims, which is a memory hog in itsellf. Who knows, maybe my computer's better than i give it credit for. That's how I get myself into trouble, because I'm always "tweaking" stuff.

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

i had no issues with SP1 in fact i like SP1 because of the increase file copy and write speeds i noticed.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ALL,

Good Vista Read.

http://practical-tech.com/unca.....ac-instead

No Personal Comment.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

They should play a "Mojave" act on them. Unbelievable.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

whs,

The REAL problem is (NOT) that Vista is so bad; it the fact that the MS Business Model is SO Expensive that Businesses and Corporations around the globe can no longer pay Millions for Licenses to use on each and every machine plus abide by the MS Eula "Stuff". MS is one of the most despised companies in the world and that is not my opinion but just a documented fact.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

well i downloaded and installed SP1 last week.
i had to download the standalone as i wasnt offered it in auto-updates although there were no optional,recomended updates whatsoever (it was completley clean). so after waiting for a month to get sp1 offered i decided to simply download the standalone and so far i have noticed anything different besides the fact that i lost my "show hidden files radio button"
i have the "do not show.....button so after reading some guides and doing some trial and error with the registry i got it to show again"

noticed better read/write speeds not siginficantly tho

Posted 5 years ago

mfuasi
mfuasi

i downloaded SP1 like a month ago but nothing much has changed on my system.I guess i will have to give it time so that i can assess the changes!!!

Posted 5 years ago

bluzepher

Has anyone downloaded SP1 lately?

Posted 5 years ago

xtrchessreal

Yes, I downloaded SP1 9/16/2008 It was the only install included in that Win update session.

The next update i did after that was 10/31/2008 there were 14 so called important updates.

One of which i had issues with once before on my XP machine. The Search 4.0 update freaking sucks people avoid it at all costs. It takes up memory like a sive and has less functionality. I don't care about what it is supposed to do. I know what it does. It causes Hangs, and application crashes including system crashes. No I did not get BSOD but the machine hangs and then begins a shut down as though I wanted to restart or power off, thats a crash in my book. And so are hangs that don't allow anything other than a hard boot to get past it. I have not seen a BSOD from windows Vista.

Vista has a serious memory management issue. There are too many issues to count I would begin to sound like a Vista basher.

I uninstalled the search 4.0 and everything is back to tolerable now. Why an OS needs more than 512 MB of Ram i'll never understand. All of my time is spent troubleshooting issue after issue with Vista. My Xp machine runs very smooth. I am transitioning to Linux for the future, Vista Sucks and XP is going to be END OF Life soon so I have no other choice.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold
Spacegold

That's a grim scenario, xtrchessreal. I downloaded SP1 when it came out as an automatic update; took all night on my dialup connection. I noticed nothing new afterwards, but since then, Vista has performed more sprightly and with remarkably fewer hangups and compatibility problems. The way I see it, MS was way behind schedule on Vista development and released it as a defacto beta version. SP1 brings it up to Version 1.0, Build 1.0 status. I still don't like having an OS taking up over half my .9Gb RAM, and I really dislike all the interferences Vista throws in the user's path. But it is running reliably and more or less predictably now.

On an older computer in another location I am still happily running XP, and while Vista may be more secure (blah, blah, blah), I really can not see much improvement over XP. Until Vista finally settled down on my WalMart/HP Special I seriously considered paying for an XP installation disk and totally trashing Windows Blimpsta. But as you say, EOL is foreseeable for XP, even though a computer guru tells me that worldwide the largest installed base for Windows is still W98, which I believe MS has quit supporting altogether. Methinks the computer consulting industry will have a long and illustrious run with W98. Kinda too bad, because XP was the culmination of the 95/98 promise, when MS finally got it right. In my view, Redmond is following in Detroit's footsteps from a business viewpoint, arrogantly and simultaneously ignoring user's needs while trying to dictate them.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!