The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista SP1 experience thread

(132 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Spacegold
  • Topic Viewed 57726 times

doyle

After installing windows vista SP1 on 4-08-08 on my home basic laptop, I've gotten error message on several websites when trying to install software: "Windows installer service could not be accessed." At some websites I have been able to install software with no problems. I have checked microsoft support site and have done live searches and have found no solutions.

I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

May I suggest that you open a thread in the Vista Forum. This is an experience thread and your problem may not get the required problem solving attention in this thread.
You may also want to get help from Microsoft. They provide free help for SP1 problems. https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=7&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Posted 6 years ago

doyle

whs: Thanks. I'll open a thread in Vista Forum.

Posted 6 years ago

Deney

I don't know whether this is the right place to post this, but this is my feedback:
Installation was smooth, I did not watch every step, but when I came back to my computer it had the "Service Pack 1 has successfully been installed"
I am running a dell Inspiron 531 if anyone is interested and it is an AMD Athlon 64 X2.

It has added around 10 seconds to my startup time, which is annoying, but does not effect me greatly. This mainly occurs during the "Welcome" screen, and when my actual desktop appears, several programs I have on startup, Uniblue SpeedupmyPC and NOD32.
One strange thing I notices was on my Control Panel systems screen, It used to say I had 3.5GB of RAM, I had ordered 4gb from DELL, but I thought this was just a small memory loss due to non-user technicalities, but now after installing Service Pack 1, is says I have 4GB like I should.
Although Uniblue still says I have 3.5gb.
I have noticed a small drop in RAM usage after installation, used to run at about 1.1GB with Mozilla open, now is about 900mb.
I have both a logitech mouse and keyboard which did not cause any problems, as I 've read they have.

Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@Deney: On the RAM, Windows is still only using 3.5GB of RAM. Microsoft just changed the display to list the installed RAM so people don't wonder why they are missing .5G of RAM.
The RAM limitation is in the 32-bit edition of Windows. For more on it see http://www.codinghorror.com/bl.....00811.html
The 64-bit edition can use 4GB of RAM and more.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

The RAM usage will vary depending on what is being started in the background. If you have the CPU meter installed on the sidebar, you can easily observe it. I have seen everything from 800MB to 1.5GB on a 3 GB RAM.

Posted 6 years ago

Deney

Thank you for that link jd, it was a helpful explanation =).
Oh and another observation, on startup, it takes quite a while longer for the "User Account Contol" box to open to approve the SpeedupmyPC program. The computer will start up as normal and I can perform my various tasks, (usually opening Mozilla first thing), and then after about 50 seconds, the box will appear (before it was almost the first thing to appear when the desktop loads). I'm not sure if there is a reason for this, but I thought I'd just point it out.
Thanks again

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@Deney: Why do you run the SpeedupmyPC program on startup?

Posted 6 years ago

Deney

Otherwise it does not monitor my CPU speed, it just stays at 0, but other than that I guess it is just convenience. Maybe disabling startup is a good idea =p.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. That makes sense. I have Everest Ultimate set up to do the same.
You can use the Task Scheduler to launch the program on startup without the UAC prompt.
I've done it with a few programs myself.
I can post how to do so if you want to do that.
Edit: I just wrote how. It's at http://www.techoddity.com/howt.....ac-prompt/
Note: You will need to remove the program from startup where it is now first or you will have one copy of the program with a prompt and one copy without a prompt running on startup.

Posted 6 years ago

Deney

Thanks a lot jd, that guide was very helpful, and I've now discovered a new tool...haha thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

installed sp1 today, took about 45 mins. no problems to report havent noticed any changes with my startup time or performance.

Posted 6 years ago

golfer777

After apparent successful installation of SP1 through Windows Update, I found that I had no connection to the Internet. (Cable broadband, hard-wired router.) I did a system restore and was once again able to get online. I don't want to re-install SP1 until I know what caused the issue. Any help would be much appreciated. Don't know if you need any further info, and hope this is the right thread - I'm fairly new to all this. Thank you in anticipation.

Post moved by Mod to Vista Forum
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-22706

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Vista SP1 has been removed from Automatic Updates due to a bug that was found.
See http://www.news.com/8301-13860.....tml?tag=bl or any of the other news sites with the story.

Posted 6 years ago

agacult

After I downloaded and installed Vista SP1, my cyberlink powerdvd version 7.3 does not work anymore. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but that doesn't help either. My notebook came with vista business preinstalled which also included the cyberlink powerdvd in it's drivers & applications setup. Otherwise Vista SP1 is working just fine.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Today 5/18 SP1 shew up in my available updates. The installation took 1 hour (without download) and was uneventful. I wonder whether MS has changed something in the installation process. 60 minutes on a Q6600 with 4GB RAM is rather long versus my installation 6 weeks ago on a 4800+ with 3GB RAM that took only 35 minutes (also without the download time). Unless that is an indication that those quads are slowpokes.
I had a small problem after the installation with my Windows Sidebar. It had somehow gotten lost in the startups. Other than that there was no change. A reboot, though, seemed to be a lot faster than previously. That is contrary to the experience on other systems.

Posted 6 years ago

GEEKwanabe
GEEKwanabe

weeks ago I sat at the phone with Ms for 7 hours still couldn't install SP1, Since then all is good Why spend hours trying to install it when as far as I'm concerned I don't need it or want it. the more I use Vista the more I like it. My other computer uses XP and it looks old and boring .Vista is alright I will just leave it alone and let it do it's thing.Just my "two centavos"

Posted 6 years ago

LukeTurnbull
LukeTurnbull

It's been about 2 months now since i have installed SP1 the reported sluggishness has gone now i heard it was caused by the creation of new folders as your active. but nevertheless. i found SP1 to be good.

i'm pretty shocked for rumours to be flying around about another OS i think vista is fine. bit fidgety and they really forgot about CMD prompt when they made it but hey it works.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

If you were wondering why SP1 does not show up in your "available updates", here is one possible reason. I found this situation on one of my laptops. Now, early June there was still no sign of SP1. I checked everything, ran the MS readiness check and got a clean bill of health. Still - no SP1 showing up. So I finally thought I bite the bullet and download the 435MB's (in lieu of the 65MB's from the automatic updates). I picked a Sunday morning CET for low traffic on the web and with a data rate of 700KB's/sec it was done in 12 minutes. The installation went well and everything seemed ok. Then I discovered that I had lost my audio. Since quite a while I had a Conexant High Definition Audio update sitting in my updates. But since this was optional, I did not bother to install it. Apparently that was a mistake. SP1 threw out my old version driver and left me with no driver at all - getting a new one was, of course, no problem. I now suspect that the MS update system did not download SP1 because of my antiquated Audio driver and in order to prevent any problems, it just eliminated it during the SP1 installation. Small cause, big reaction.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-13919

;)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.