How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista SP1 experience thread

(132 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Spacegold
  • Topic Viewed 57726 times

whs
whs

This is a useful 60 minute discussion hosted by MS Senior Fellow Mark Russinovich and a panel of IT industry experts about Vista and SP1 http://blogs.technet.com/james.....cided.aspx
And also: Slipstream Windows Vista with SP1 & Create a Bootable Vista SP1 DVD
http://www.labnol.org/software.....ated/2750/

Posted 6 years ago

Cassie

@jd2066
I did try that, but it was still the same result. Thanks 4 helping though, I appreciate it.

Posted 6 years ago

Starchy
Starchy

I posted the following earlier.....

"After installing SP1 on my Vista Home Premium, Computer is running faster but,
boot up is slower. I haven't changed anything to make boot up run slower. Does
anyone have any info. to help speed up the boot since installing SP! ?"

and microsoft gave me several ways to help speed the boot when I hit on uninstalling
Avast Antivirus! After I get to the desktop window, it boots up like old times.

Now using AVG antivirus and no problems with it.

When first turning on computer, the vertical bars scrolling across screen are more
and taking longer. Can anyone give me a clue to shorten the scrolls...now some 27 to 30 times.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

seems like that's what SP 1 does, hopefully one of the patches they have this month will help speed up the boot time.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

For all the theming enthusiasts that have been unable to run patched systems since SP1,
I give you this, http://www.codegazer.com/2008/.....-sp1-beta/

You may want to wait for the final.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i sent my laptop to the store where i bought it, i've been having stop errors (blue screens) on it prior and after installing SP1. before i sent it, i did a recovery of my system and installed SP1, but still encountered a stop error.

according to the tech, the stop error has something to do with SP1, i'm not sure about all the details yet, because we just talked on the phone. i'll try to get the details when i pick up my laptop later.

has anybody encountered a stop error (blue screen) after installing SP1?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

No stop error at all. I think they give you a snow job.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i think so too. if i encounter the stop error again, i'm going to bring them my laptop while on blue screen.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

There maybe cases where SP1 causes Blue Screen Errors (though I haven't seen any from SP1) but the cause can't be SP1 if they happen without SP1 installed.
If you list what error message and file name are displayed on the Blue Screen I can try to help figure out what is causing it.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i don't have the exact details at the moment, but from what i remember, the error was from win32k.sys. i tried to google the error, and from what i found the possible sources that the error might've come from are: faulty/insufficient RAM or faulty OS installation. some of my other 'geeky' friends said that it could also come from the HD, although they say it's just a possibility. btw, i made a thread about my error, but it seems we came to a little dead-end: win32k.sys stop error, any possible solutions?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. I didn't realize that this and the other threads where related to the same problem.
I would say if doing a recovery that wipes the disc and returns to the factory install doesn't stop the error then it's unlikely it's a bad OS install.
It's probably something hardware related like the RAM or hard drive.
Unfortunately, there is isn't much way to know for sure what hardware if any is causing the problem without just replacing a part and seeing what happens.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

that's going to be my last choice, i guess. btw, does the windows memory diagnostic tool or memtest always find out if the RAM is defective?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Basically those tools write to the RAM certain values, reads them back and compares if they match.
They do this a few times with different values and on all parts of the RAM in case it's only a certain part that is bad.
If the correct value isn't returned then something is wrong.
This usually indicates bad RAM though it can be other things like overclocking or overheating can cause the RAM to not run right.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

well, i haven't overclocked my computer (since i don't know how to overclock a laptop, actually, i don't know how to overclock at all ^_^), overheating might be a cause.

is there a tool like memtest for videocards?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Update for KB 937287 (one of the SP1 prerequisites) http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1319 and also http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=425

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I don't know of a tool like that for video cards.
There are a couple things you can check related to overheating:
1. You can use a program that tells you the temperature of the computer and make sure it's within normal range.
2. Look at all the fans on the computer and make sure they are not covered with dust.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

@whs
when they say "hard-to-break reboot cycle," does that mean a normal reboot or do you think it includes a blue screen/stop error?

@jd
i've been meaning to try those temperature s/w, i just keep forgetting, but i guess now i really have to install one

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@Pipo, The reboot cycle refers to constant rebooting during the SP1 installation. At least that's how I read it. I don't think it refers to Stop Error.
CoreTemp is neat for controlling the CPU temperature. When it's up, minimize it and the temperature measurement appears in the system tray. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

thanks whs, i'm gonna try that when i get home. ^_^

Posted 6 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

Well like most people my boot time has gone up, "Go make yourself a cup of tea while you are waiting" gone up.

The other thing I have noticed is that my recycle bin icon is not updating properly. If I empty the bin it will often stay looking like it is full. Once the icon disappeared altogether when I emptied the recycle bin.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!