Vista SP1 Installation – Experience report
Encouraged by many positive reports about the SP1 installation, I gave it a try on one system. To report the result immediately: It went extremely well in less than 1 hour and everything seems to be working as before. Here is the installation sequence:
1. I first went to msconfig and disabled the start-ups and all services other than the MS services (hide – important, else your system will not work).
2. I started the installation from Windows Update – fortunately it was there because it had disappeared twice previously (MS seems to do that for load balancing of their servers). I kept an exact time log which might be interesting for those who will install later. It is obvious that the timings may vary depending on your system and the line load. But in relative terms it might still be interesting.
4.30 PM – Download started
4.38 – 50% of download completed
4.49 – 100% of download completed (it made a long pause at 89% and 94%)
4.49 – Preparing to install – Installation Wizard shows up – accept, next, etc.
4.58 – Successfully installed
4.58 – asks for Restart – Starts configuration of update (made a long pause at 65%)
5.10 - Stage 1 configuration complete
5.12 – Stage 2 configuration complete – automatic System Restart
5.15 – start of stage 3
5.18 - Stage 3 complete
5.21 – System back up and running –did “enable All" and Restart
5.25 – Back in business
3. I did not really notice any immediate difference to before SP1 (yes-Search is missing, but we knew that was coming). Restart seems to be just as slow as before and the rest works normal. I hope that helps to encourage the ones who are waiting to install. I was very hesitant myself, but now I will install it on my other systems too.
Update: I just noticed that all restore points (shadows) were cleared - so you may think you gained space on your OS disk (usually C:). But now you cannot depend on system restore if something happens soon after SP1 install. Better write a shadow immediately.