(132 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Spacegold
  • Topic Viewed 57726 times

Starchy
Starchy

After installing SP1 on my Vista Home Premium, Computer is running faster but,
boot up is slower. I haven't changed anything to make boot up run slower. Does
anyone have any info. to help speed up the boot since installing SP! ?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

bigminisachin1231, try to install it in "Safe boot mode". There may be some of your runing services that are in the way. Msconfig > Services > check "Hide all Microsoft services" > Disable all

Posted 6 years ago

donjudy2003

Starchy. I also downloaded SP1 (actually MS contacted me stating that it is stongly recommended) It took over an hour and about 20 min to install. I notice a longer time to boot but my computer seems to run faster. It placed a very pale hard to see icon that is labled "desktop," on my desktop. I wonder if I can delete it. Also my Norton 360 program has stop running three time.

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

@ whs

I tried doing what you said by booting into safe mode and using msconfig to disable all services...but the standalone still did the same thing. Although it was a good tip.

@ Santo

Although I've tried this fix before, I tried it again. It didn't work. Thanks anyway.

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

also, @ donjudy

That desktop file is a hidden system file. You probably don't want to delete it. Try this instead:

Open a Windows Explorer window. Aka go to My Computer, Documents, etc.

There should be a menu that says Organize in the window. Click on it, then from the drop-down menu choose Folder and Search Options. In the window that pops up, click the View tab, then scroll down in the list and make sure "Do not show hidden files and folders" is selected and that "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is also selected. Then hit OK and see if the desktop file is still showing.

If this doesn't help, let me know.

Posted 6 years ago

donjudy2003

Hi bidminisachin. Majic! it worked. the little icon is gone. thank you so much. don

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Vista SP1 on CD from Newegg for $5. (maybe free from MS later?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6832116496

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

installed SP1 this morning, no problems so far
1. i noticed that my custom boot screen went to default (as expected)
2. my custom logon screen from LogonStudio was still there
3. some of the windows programs showed as 'new programs installed' in my start menu:
  a. Windows Calendar
  b. Windows DVD Maker
  c. Bluetooth File Transfer Wizard
  d. Paint
  e. Remote Desktop Connection
  f. Sound Recorder
  g. Sync Center
  h. Some of the System Tools
  i. can't remember the other programs, but most of them are in the Accessories folder

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

@ donjudy

Glad to help. The SP1 installation probably just changed your hidden files settings. Now if I could only find a fix for my issue...

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@bigminisachin1231, Your problem is with the download. Right? Could be the firewall, your ISP server or who knows what. Maybe you want to try using the SP1 CD that Scott posted above.

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

Well, yes, with Windows Update, but I actually downloaded the standalone itself, although I'd be glad to see if that SP1 copy works any better; my actual problem is that the standalone installer gives Error 80070002, which I understand to be different from the Windows Update Error Code 0x80070002, meaning that they're probably not fixed the same way. I can provide a screen-shot if wanted.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

So you made progress. You got past the download but now you have installation problems. Try this procedure. Maybe it helps. http://www.eggheadcafe.com/sof.....es-kb.aspx It's not sure though whether it works.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I had problems with the standalone, but with the Windows Update, no

Posted 6 years ago

rabuksak
rabuksak

installed SP1 the day it became available to the public via windows update.

i have had no problems thus far, except for a minor audio hiccup that was completely remedied by an updated driver (onboard realtek HD audio).

startup times seem pretty much the same ... perhaps slightly quicker.

almost two weeks now with SP1 and i have no complaints.

. . .

Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit)
2GB ram
core 2 duo cpu

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

This article talks about problems of SP1 with certain Intel chips. For those concerned it may be of interest:
http://reddevnews.com/news/art.....alsid=9703

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

Sorry, whs, I might not have been clear. Technically, Windows Update still won't download it, but the fix you posted didn't work - it's the one I've been trying anyway, by the way. I tried downloading a fresh copy of the standalone - but no cigar.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@bigminisachin1231, If it did show up in your windows update, one can assume that you do not have an incompatibility/driver problem. That is supposed to be checked. The download problem does not look to be caused by programs in your system (you excluded that with safe boot etc.) - that leaves your internet connection or a bug in your Vista. To exclude the former, I would spend the $5 and get the CD.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Vista SP1 Installation – Experience report

Encouraged by many positive reports about the SP1 installation, I gave it a try on one system. To report the result immediately: It went extremely well in less than 1 hour and everything seems to be working as before. Here is the installation sequence:

1. I first went to msconfig and disabled the start-ups and all services other than the MS services (hide – important, else your system will not work).

2. I started the installation from Windows Update – fortunately it was there because it had disappeared twice previously (MS seems to do that for load balancing of their servers). I kept an exact time log which might be interesting for those who will install later. It is obvious that the timings may vary depending on your system and the line load. But in relative terms it might still be interesting.

4.30 PM – Download started
4.38 – 50% of download completed
4.49 – 100% of download completed (it made a long pause at 89% and 94%)
4.49 – Preparing to install – Installation Wizard shows up – accept, next, etc.
4.58 – Successfully installed
4.58 – asks for Restart – Starts configuration of update (made a long pause at 65%)
5.10 - Stage 1 configuration complete
5.12 – Stage 2 configuration complete – automatic System Restart
5.15 – start of stage 3
5.18 - Stage 3 complete
5.21 – System back up and running –did “enable All" and Restart
5.25 – Back in business

3. I did not really notice any immediate difference to before SP1 (yes-Search is missing, but we knew that was coming). Restart seems to be just as slow as before and the rest works normal. I hope that helps to encourage the ones who are waiting to install. I was very hesitant myself, but now I will install it on my other systems too.

Update: I just noticed that all restore points (shadows) were cleared - so you may think you gained space on your OS disk (usually C:). But now you cannot depend on system restore if something happens soon after SP1 install. Better write a shadow immediately.

Posted 6 years ago

Cassie

I installed SP1 a couple of days ago. After installation, the boot screen changed to the hidden Aurora one which I found weird - shouldn't it change to the original? Anyhow, I found the overall performance went up a few notches and everything seemed to be running tickidy-boo, but then the unthinkable happened: my computer kept auto-locking me out for every minute I was inactive (not moving a single thing, not pressing a single button). This has kept happening repeatedly for the past couple of days and it's driving me crazy! I contacted Microsoft about it (still giving free support) and they suggested that it was a third party app that was causing the problem, but I don't think so because all of my apps are compatible w/ Vista and are updated with no glitches that I'm aware of.
Any help guys?
Also, how do you uninstall SP1? Or can you?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@Cassie: Try looking in Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization->Screen Saver and Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options->Change When the computer sleeps on the left.
Both of those can cause to the computer when idle for a certain time period to lock the computer.
Also yes you can uninstall SP1 by going to Programs and Features->Installed Updates link on the left but I maybe able to help to fix those problems so I recommend waiting to see if they can be fixed before uninstalling SP1.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!