How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista SP1 experience thread

(132 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Spacegold
  • Topic Viewed 57726 times

Scott
Scott

After much rumor, speculation and innuendo, SP1 is beginning to launch for the masses. Please keep this discussion on-topic, related to the performance of your Vista after you've downloaded and installed SP1 and *only* if you have.

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

Pls check this.. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=400

it says MS is going to provide free support to OEM customers for Vista SP1 issues, is this true?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

From Ed Bott "...you can call for free support on SP1–related issues even if you purchased an OEM copy of Windows Vista preinstalled on a new computer."

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=7&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Please report your experiences here after/if you install SP1.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

We have two laptops at home, one showed SP1 available for update. Confused as to why the other didn't, I checked the list of problem drivers/apps posted in the article above by Santo. Sure enough, my Audio driver by Sigmatel was on the list. I uninstalled that driver, let Windows choose another one and voila !, SP1 was available for download.

Posted 6 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Just finished installing SP1 through Windows Update. Install went well, took a little over an hour. Don't
know if it was just coincidence, but after reading about the need to have all prerequisites installed before SP1 can be installed I got to thinking about KB937287, which I hid and did not install after I did a
system recovery to correct rebooting problem evidently caused by it. So, I went ahead and installed it and
voila, SP1 showed up and I proceeded to install it. So far I haven't noticed a big change other than computer seems to be a little quicker.

Posted 6 years ago

techauthor

Experience:
1. Used windows update program
2. Installed some missing updates
3. SP1 became available
4. clicked on download link
5. download stopped at 95%. Waited 15 mins.
6. Killed, rebooted
7. Repeat step 1, sp1 still marked available
8. Clicked install
9. Not prompted for download, instead went directly to "installing" screen
10. 2 hours later, still there
11. Checked task manager and saw virtually no action on CPU or Disk
12. Clicked stop installation, started writing this message
13. (ten minutes later) Got "What you should know beforing installing SP1" screen
14. Accepted terms, about to do install

More later, after I close programs and give it a whirl....

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@techauthor

That's definitely not a fun experience!

I've installed the update via the downloadable version on my laptop, and also via automatic updates on other machines... I've had no issues with installing, although the automatic download did seem to take forever for me.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

See the last post on this thread: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=6

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Things to Know Before You Download Windows Vista SP1 ( this was part of an answer to a query I had sent to Microsoft. They are very helpful in providing information)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-.....68895.aspx

How to obtain the release notes for Windows Vista Service Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330

If you would like to install the SP1, please select KB935509, KB937287 and KB938371 to install and then do the following steps to install SP1.
Generally, of installation issues can occur if certain third party programs are running in the background during the upgrade (especially third party firewall, antivirus programs etc). As a result, Vista SP1 cannot be downloaded completely and the installation will fail. Therefore, I suggest we first perform the following steps to directly download Vista SP1 on our website in Normal Mode and then install it in Clean Boot mode to avoid software conflicts.
Before we try to install Vista SP1, please understand installing Vista SP1 requires a minimum of 5 GB free disk space on the Windows partition. The recommended free disk space is as follows:
• 7 GB Recommended for 32-bit Windows Vista
• 12 GB Recommended for 64-bit Windows Vista
Therefore, please make sure you have enough free disk space before installing Vista SP1.
If you are using a branded computer, which is also known as an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) PC, the hardware and applications on your computer are highly customized by the original computer manufacturer. Therefore, the standard version of Vista SP1 may not be fully compatible with the computer system. At this point, I recommend contacting the computer manufacturer first before installing Vista SP1. Please ask them if any of the software applications and hardware drivers need to be updated for Vista SP1. Otherwise, installing Vista SP1 may cause unexpected problems. Thank you for your understanding.

They also sent a long guidance on how to install with the standalone installer. If there is interest in this, I will be glad to post it.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Thanks whs,

Maybe people who actually install SP1 will take the time to post on this thread afterwards.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

What was interesting is that they recommended to install in "Clean Boot Mode" - I assume that means "Safe Mode". - Maybe that could help techauthor.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Command line tool for removing pre-SP1 files,

http://www.labnol.org/software.....iles/2641/

Beware, once they are removed, you can not uninstall the service pack.

Posted 6 years ago

rbobandjean

Sorry if this not the right thread, I'm VERY new to this. I've read all your post's with great interest on the matter of SP1 downloads, but my burning question has not been mentioned. DIAL UP connection, which is what I have, would take a life time to download SP1. Can anyone advise me what the position is with this. Thank you in anticipation.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It's relatively easy to calculate. Take the filesize it says in your "Available Updates" and divide by 56 Kbips (which I assume is the transfer rate of your dial up). But you are right, it will be long.

Posted 6 years ago

rbobandjean

Thanks for that whs, my dial speed is usually only about 33,000 bites per sec, so a little longer than you suspect. I've tried getting in touch with M/S but have not had any joy so far. Any other suggestions?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

MS will undoubtedly offer a CD version of SP1, as they have with all other service packs. You will need some patience but take solace in that the CD will probably ship for free ! (others have).

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Rob, when you do the calculation remember that your transfer rate is in bits and the file size for SP1 is in bytes. There are 9 bits (8 data and 1 check bit) to a byte. That makes it even worse. Let's hope Scott is right on the CD deal.

Posted 6 years ago

rbobandjean

Hi Scott and whs thank you very much for your responces, much apreciated. Will await with patience as suggested. Your replies greatly appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

Hey, I can't even install SP1 - both the standalone installer and Windows Update give Error Code 0x80070002, and following MS's fix for this doesn't help. Windows Update displays it after downloading 20%, and the standalone gets to about 75% and then displays it.

Anyone else having this problem?

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

Try the steps given here.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.c.....f1033.mspx

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!