How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista Sound Issues

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by rpeters1428
  • Latest reply from supermansghost
  • Topic Viewed 6322 times

rpeters1428

Hello,
I am running Windows Vista and am having issues with my sound. I've never had this happen before. I downloaded and installed the Vista codec pack and if my sound is muted when I shutdown the computer, when I load up Vista again and un mute the sound I still don't get any sound. I pumped up the sound to the max and still got no sound. I first had K-lite mega codec pack and I had the same problem. If the speakers are un muted when I shutdown the computer, when I start it up again the sound works just fine. But when I mute them when I shutdown, I have to restart the machine when the speakers are un muted. Just so you know, the driver is SigmaTel C-Major Audio and Vista says it's working. My first thought was that the driver was out dated but the driver came from Vista from the Update straight from Microsoft.
Thank you

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Does the manufacturer have their own sound drivers? You might want to switch to those and see if it makes a difference.

While the built-in drivers are usually functional and stable, I've had quite a few devices that just didn't work quite right until I installed the official drivers from the manufacturer.

That's the first test, if that doesn't work be sure to let us know.

Posted 7 years ago

rpeters1428

Thanks for the reply back. I went to Dell's website and downloaded and installed the newest version of the SigmaTel C-Major Audio driver and restarted my computer with the sound muted to see if it would work and it does not. Once Windows is booted up again and after I un mute the audio there is still no audio until I restart the computer with the sound on. Now, when I installed the newest sound driver from Dell I did not first uninstall the older one. When I go to the device manager I only see one sound driver there and it says it's working properly. I'm lost in how to fix it.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Another alternative that you could try is to use the XP driver instead. I've read on some other forums about people having better luck with XP drivers.

You might also contact Dell about it.. I've read that there's some weird problems on some other brands of notebooks.

Posted 7 years ago

mudkipz

I have this exact same issue, I have yet to resolve it. I know instead of rebooting with the sound unmuted one can go into hibernate and come back...a little bit faster but still a pain in the butt.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

rpeters,

try going into Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Sound Controller....right click, Properties>Driver and try rolling back the driver. If it works you're back to square one but you seem to prefer that choice.

Any luck with deleting the codec?

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

You might also want to try installing these updates, if you haven't already:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

They fix a lot of problems with sleep mode and other stuff.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.