The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Vista Recovery Disc

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by crlamb
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 935 times

crlamb

One of my computers hard drive failed, so I installed a new hard drive. The computer was purchased with software already installed and so I made a Vista Recovery Disc so that I could reload the software that was on the computer. To my surprise the Recovery Disc has saved the information as a "Bit Torrent" file, and windows cannot open the CD so that I can get my recovery complete. How to I get a free "Bit Torrent" program that will open the files in order to complete the recovery ?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It would be easiest of you downloaded the Vista .iso from here. Then activate it with the key on the COA sticker which is on the bottom of the laptop. Make sure you download the .iso version that corresponds to that key.

Posted 1 year ago

crlamb

Do not have COA as the software was installed before I purchased the computer at Best Buy. ALso it is a desktop............It is stupid to make a recovery disc, if the operating system cannot read the recovery material.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Something is not right here. You should still have a COA on the computer. You may not be able to have all programs that were installed but the OS you should be able to get.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Every legitimate computer has one. Looks like this on side or back of desktop.

Posted 1 year ago

crlamb

I have the OS, but none of the programs that were on the computer when purchased new. I have a "Product Key" from Microsoft which is a 25 digit number stuck on the rear of the desktop. I assumed that since that is a Microsoft Product Key, it would include the O.S, but", but would include the programs that were on the computer when purchased, but additional software added after purchase would not be available. Gateway included a "Operating System Disc", and that is the reason that I made the Recovery Disc. I assumed that the recovery disk would reinstall all programs that were on the computer on the date that the disc was made. This "Bit Torrent" is a real "PITA".

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Why do you worry about all those bloatware programs that were installed by Gateway. Those were either 3 months trials or they are free programs that you can get any time from the web and install. If you tell us the programs you would like to keep, we'll give you the links.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

crlamb

I am appreciative of the assistance, but it was not necessary to bother all of you. Since the grandson is the primary user of the computer I asked him what programs that he wished to use. Basically, he stated that he did not use Word, Excel, or any of the programs that were there when he got the computer....The programs that he uses, he has the program disc....All this was somewhat of a waste of time. Sorry to be a bother, but thanks for your help

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

And Word, Excel, etc. were only 3 month trials anyhow.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.