The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Vista problem

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Nemesis85x
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 504 times

Nemesis85x

I have been working to recover and restore a toshiba satellite L305-S5955 that was given to me. Right now my biggest issue is everytime I boot the of up, it gets to the desktop and freezes. Still have the cursor that I can move around but if I try to open anything it doesn't respond. It's like I'm looking at an empty shell of programs. I have exhausted everything I know to do and I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Did you reinstall Vista and how did you do that.

Posted 1 year ago

Nemesis85x

Yes I reinstalled it. I used windows vista 32-bit repair and restore disk. I
Also when I was in command prompt I ran chkdsk /F c:. Said it found no problems, I ran chkdsk /R c:, it found corrupted files and fixed them. I did repair my computer, no problems. I did the diagnostic in the recover windows screen. It too came up clean. I even tried to restore to earlier date. Then I got an error message, don't exactly remember what error message it was ( that was last night). If I try to boot in safe mode I get an error message stating that windows can't install in safe mode then the computer restarts. If I just boot up normally then, it boots right up then once it gets to desktop the task bar freezes then so does the comp

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Is the Vista recovery partition still on the disk ? If yes, do this:

1. Make sure the computer is turned off.
2. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while powering on the computer. When the computer powers on, the Toshiba Recovery Wizard screen displays.
3. Select the option 'Recovery of Factory Default Software'

Posted 1 year ago

Nemesis85x

Ok do I want to recover to out of box state or recover without changing the hard drive partitions. Btw I greatly appreciate the help I was ready to break this thing!!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Either way sounds good - although 'out of the box' may be better.

Posted 1 year ago

Nemesis85x

Just got an error message.

ERROR: 10-FA11-045d
Recovery error press ok to turn off the computer

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hmm, that sounds like there is a problem with the HDD. Run a chkdsk /f from cmd on the recovery disc.

Posted 1 year ago

Nemesis85x

Well when booted up it went to a plz wait while your computer is setting up. Followed by a restart and now it is at the applying final config screen.

Posted 1 year ago

Nemesis85x

WHS I greatly appreciate the tips. The computer is completely fixed I do believe!!! Thanks man

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are welcome. Any time.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!