The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista Prefetch question

(24 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by fredharvey
  • Latest reply from fredharvey
  • Topic Viewed 11250 times

fredharvey

Hi, With XP everytime I uninstalled a program afterwards I would do a search for the prefetch file , how does this work with Vista ? Does Vista remove everything once it been uninstall ? Do the prefetch files get remove ? How does it work towards the prefetch files ? thanks

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Welcome fred. The prefetch files live in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder. I just delete them all every few weeks.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

CCleaner will take care of it. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Posted 5 years ago

fredharvey

HI, Thanks for the welcome . Lighthouse may I ask as to why you do just that ? WHS I have CC already though I wasn't sure it removes the prefetch file or does it remove them all within the folder ? I rather have it just remove programs that I have uninstalled , Does it do just certain ones at a time ? Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Well fred. It's because I download an awful lot of programs, just to test them.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

fredharvey,

Don't know how Prefetch works in Vista however you can Delete the Prefetch files in XP, Reboot, Logon, Jump into (CMD) mode and type in or (copy and paste) the below to rebuild the most current Prefetch files. Be sure to run CCleaner before rebuilding files.

%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

As I indicated, in Vista this may not work but you can try it and if it doesn't, all it will do is give you an error message.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

fredharvey

Well that a good reason Lighthouse lol , though I was under the impression never to delete the layout file . It has something to do with Windows booting better if you don't . I know it get recreated if you do but I was told not to delete it .

Raphoenix >> Thanks for that tip but I am affraid it doesn't work . It actually does nothing in Vista , no error or anything , oh well . Though I know if you restart your comp a few times it will recreate the prefetch files .

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It recreates when you exit Windows. And then adds as you go along.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

fredharvey,

Did you hit (Enter Key) and watch the HD light to see if activity was taking place ?? In XP, the command rebuilds the Prefetch (INI) file also along with other entries after complete deletion of Prefetch folder content.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Oops, I made a mistake. It starts recreating straight after you delete it.

Posted 5 years ago

fredharvey

Lighthouse >>> Yeah, I figure it recreate all after a few restarts ( 3 )

Raphoenix >>> All I did was copy and paste your command and enter it , hit enter , nothing . just gives you the beginning option again

Posted 5 years ago

fredharvey

pls delete this I didn't see the edit there , thanks

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It is not the restarts that recreate it. It's what you run in a session.

Posted 5 years ago

fredharvey

Yep , You're right . But i'm still curious to know whether whenever uninstalling a program if Vista removes the prefetch file to ? I know XP didn't do that .

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Not sure. Will have to test that. Install 2 new programs, uninstall with 2 different methods. Give me a few minutes please.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

OK. just downloaded and run 2 programs. Uninstalled 1 with the Windows uninstaller, and the other with Revo Uninstaller. Neither removed the entry from the prefetch folder!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Lighthouse (Peter),

You are in France but just out of curiosity, where is the Server located for this group ??

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

fredharvey

Thanks Lighthouse , Its good to know . Do you know whether if you use Vista search function it will locate these files ? I know with XP search it did, Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Rick. Do you mean my ISP Server? or the server for the forum?
And severe warning. Don't call me Peter. LH is fine :)

Fred. Which files?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Lighthouse,

I'll take your warning seriously.

I've always used "raphoenix" on all groups and my "nickname" Rick P. since the net started. Was just wondering who was the ISP for the group.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!