The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Vista PC Will Not Download Windows Updates

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by alamiss
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 873 times

alamiss

I solved this same problem on a HP XP Laptopo computer three weeks with info from a link suggested by "Warlock".

This Pavilion a6167c will not update using the same procedure as before. The computer is running fine now, after reformatting and going back to factory original condition. I was still having some start and freeze problems after reloading, but everything cleared up after changing the CMOS battery. The problem now is I can't update Windows. This is preventing me from going forward with a few things.

I got an error message 8007F8F re time sync. The time is set and looks O.K. Where do I go from here with these updates. Can the BIOS c lock be off because of the battery change? How do I check or reset this?

PRD

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It is probably the date that is wrong - and if you changed the cmos, that is very likely. If you have e.g. a 2007 date, update downloads will not work.

Posted 1 year ago

alamiss

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I just got into the BIOS. The time was correct, but the year was 2007. I did change a bad battery earlier today to get the machine to turn on and boot up. How do I change the year to get the date correct? I was unable to navigate to the year to make a change.

PRD

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Do it in the system tray on the task bar (right)...click on the clock and there should be an option to change it.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

SJ is right. It is easy to change in the notification area.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!