The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista partition does not resize using gParted

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by wwtech
  • Latest reply from wwtech
  • Topic Viewed 4801 times

wwtech

when I boot to the gparted live cd, it sees 2 partitions on my laptop's hard disk, a large one with the boot record and a relatively smaller one, I think, created for system snapshots for recovery purposes. When I click on the boot drive, it gives me some sort of error message saying that I need to run chkdsk /f on the windows and reboot TWICE, in caps. After I did this (by the way chkdsk /f does not find anything wrong with the drive) I get the same message from gparted. What is wrong with this. This is my first machine with vista home prem. came preloaded and so far I am not very happy about it. Also I do not have installation disk or anything like that whatsoever. If I get to be able to partition and see the dreaded corrupt windows partition message, I dunno what I can do.

All I want is to create 2 other partitions. One for me to run Linux and one for the wife to run her win XP so that she can install quickbooks and keep making money. Vista is pure crap in my opinion so far. Nothing more than eye-candy.

Posted 6 years ago

nrv1013

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....partition/

Or you can try Vista's Shrink Volume feature.

Instructions are in the first section of this guide:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 6 years ago

wwtech

Yeah, I saw these two articles. As a matter of fact it is how I found this site using google but unfortunately, the first one especially talks about a no-problems-encountered partitioning attempt. Not my case. I ran into this problem I described above. And I am clueless. I need to install windows XP on this laptop for my wife's business needs and a linux partition for myself. But if I can't save the vista partition, it is not possible.

Any takers ??

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.