The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Vista Media Center - allow two different TV inputs/sources

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by HTPCBoy
  • Latest reply from Michael
  • Topic Viewed 2277 times

HTPCBoy

In order to watch one program while recording another program in Vista Media Center, you must have two tv tuner cards with two inputs. Currently, due to restrictions on the TV Guide feature for Vista MCE (so I am told), there is a limited combination of signals that can be used:

1. Cable Box + Cable Box (typically digital)
2. Direct from Wall + Direct from Wall (typically analogue)
3. Either Cable Box or Direct from Wall + Over-the-air antenna
*In essence, the inputs must be from the same company, and must have the same channel lineup (with the exception of over the air).

They say this is due to limitations of the TV guide feature in Vista - in that it cannot intelligently account for the difference in channels between two different inputs. You can read more about it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windo.....uners.mspx

Has anyone found a good work-around for this? Anyone want to try? I don't want two cable boxes in my living room and I want my digital TV :-).

Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Sadly, I have been trying to do this myself. The only way possible is to have something recording in Media Center, and then go watch TV somewhere else. :P

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

HTPCBoy

Couldn't there be some sort of registry hack or addition to the guide that could make this work?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Actually, I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that this hardware related and not software. Sorry. You have to have more than one Cable box, lol. :P

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!