SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista Freezes, and System Restore Has No Restore Points?

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by skyheart12
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 1860 times

skyheart12

Hello, first off I'd like to say I'm not very good with computers but I'm kind of desperate for help.
My windows vista keeps freezing after several minutes of no use. In the middle of a download, or while I'm surfing the web it decides to freeze up. I can't use CTRL ALT DELETE to exit the program I'm on, sometimes my mouse wont move, the computer just stops working and I have to manually press the off/on button... I'm suspicious that the problem started when I installed Nero 7 Startsmart. Also, stupid stupid STUPID me, when my McAfee expired I assumed my windows security was working but when this problem started I went to scan my pc and NONE of the basic protection was enabled. How dumb of me.

This has been going on for a couple weeks now, as I've had no time lately to deal with this. Now I'm getting worried about constantly manually shutting down my laptop, having my computer suggest I use Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking (which I'm on right now). I tried system restore hoping to fix the problem, but there aren't any Restore Points created.. possibly due to my windows security being off for a while? When I tried uninstalling Nero it said "Error" and something about my windows installer not being installed properly, but I know for a fact it was working 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm really really hoping I wont have to restore my computer to factory settings because of files and download, is there anything I can do?
Thank you

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....your-files See if you can do this. To CD's or an external HD. If you can then you can try to sort the problem. Which may turn out to be a factory reset. But, at least you will have your files.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would prefer to copy/paste my files to another drive. At least you know what you have done. With the Windows backup program you can never be sure whether the restore will work.

But if your system does not work any more, you have to use a live CD - e.g. this one.

Posted 1 year ago

skyheart12

I don't have an external hard drive, what kind of CD must I use? And where could I purchase one?

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Hi
"And where could I purchase one? "

Your local PC shop or online....

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

An external hard drive is a must. No PC can be operated safely without one. How are you going to make images without an external hard drive. CDs are no good at all and DVDs are too messy to deal with. And both don't have the required capacity - unless they are Blue Ray. Get at least a 500GB external disk and you will be set for a while.

Posted 1 year ago

skyheart12

So you're saying there is no way to find old restore points (even months old) and use those? I have to reset my computer to factory settings and download all my current programs?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Yes, If you didn't save an image your pretty much stuck.

Edit: you can still try a back up of files on DVD's

Posted 1 year ago

skyheart12

Sorry if I sound dim, but what do you mean "save an image"?

Posted 1 year ago

skyheart12

I remember using system restore in the past and it automatically had restore points. Is the reason there are none available because I only recently turned on the windows security features?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

No, I doubt that is your problem. Your way past trying to save anything by turning on security features now. Try to save your files to CD or DVD or external drive and then factory reset.
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....your-files

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The number of restore points that are being saved depends on the size of your shadowstorage. In there, older restore points are deleted when new restore points need space. Vista usually makes 1 restore point each day and one whenever you install or uninstall a program or update. The size of a restore point is appr. 500MB to 1GB. So you would need a very large shadowstorage if you wanted to save them for e.g. a whole month.

Images you make to an external disk and you manage those yourself. Here you are in full control of what's happening. Images are very large - 10 to 40GB depending on how much data you have in your C partition. A 500GB external disk would be advised if you want to keep a lot of images. Here is a tutorial that will give you an idea of what imaging is all about. This particular program works the same in XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@whs, this OP does not have a clue what your suggesting. Doesn't know where to buy a disc.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Well, I guess he has to be on a steep learning curve. I thought I was pretty clear and concise. Let's just make sure he saves his data before he reinstalls.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Your right.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!