The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista format shortcut ?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bubbles
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 517 times

bubbles

Firstly i'd like to say hi to all, being new i think its polite thing to do, now to my query, I know of several desktop shortcuts out there to do various things I have them for reboot, log off etc, but was wondering, is there such a thing as a format shortcut, i did have a go at creating one myself several times being intruiged after seeing it done in some film or another a while back, which made me wonder, is there a way to destroy/format a hard drive via a shortcut or does it take some kind of hack to do it, i and i'm not alone i would imagine as various other people do at times have some sort of downloaded content on my drive that worries me until deleted, but thinking about it just made me wonder if its at all possible ?.
Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated as i scoured the inet for ages on material and could find absolutely nothing.

TIA
Bubbles

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Is what you want to do just press some keys and destroy everything on your hard drive?

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

A shortcut like that can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.

Posted 1 year ago

bubbles

Agreed it could be dangerous in the wrong hands, but in my hands and on my pc, doubtful, as regarding pressing a few keys and destroying everything
that would not bother me in the slightest, I am computer literate to some degree so repartitioning and installing a system is no problem and would only be destroying anything I didn't want prying eyes to see, I know how to format in the normal way so if it was the case i was some nutter, knowing that format.com on vista lies in c:\windows\system32 and not having a shortcut to it would hardly stop me lol, I was asking as it intruiged me and thought it a novel way to do exactly as I said if the need arises. So now you know I know what i'm asking, and have advised caution any advice or sites with info would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Bubbles

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-easy-way/ This will wipe your drive. See no reason or practical purpose to try and figure out a way you want to do it. But, if you have time on your hands to try, this program will do it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!