The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) Vista "Disk Cleanup'' Questions

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cygpup
  • Latest reply from cygpup
  • Topic Viewed 1831 times

cygpup

In the 'disk cleanup' on Vista is it safe to delete 'downloaded program files?' (wouldn't that delete the
programs as well)?
In the 'disk cleanup' what is - and - is it safe to delete 'per user archived Windows error reporting'?
'per user queued Windows error reporting'?
'system archived Windows error reporting'?
'system queued Windows error reporting'?
Thank you for all of your help.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You can delete all that stuff. The downloaded program files are the .exes that are not needed after installation (a bit like .zip folders after unzipping). And all those error reporting files have only historic value - unless you want to look up what happened in the past.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I would recommend against deleting those things.
The 'Downloaded Program Files' folder stores downloaded ActiceX controls like Adobe Flash, Sun Java, etc and it's possible you would need to reinstall them if you cleared out that folder.
Also I think the 'Windows error reporting' files are using by the 'Problems and Solutions' applet which will sometimes go out and find solutions to problems that are saved so it's helpful.

And due to some bugs with the 'Disk Cleanup' I would recommend against using it at all as it doesn't save that much space but can cause many problems if used incorrectly.

Posted 5 years ago

cygpup

WOW - It seems as though I inadvertently asked a contentious question - with 2 replies each with a completely different opinion. Does
anyone else have an opinion? Thank you for your opinions.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Justin is extra cautious. But he knows more than me about PCs. So why don't you go with what he says. If I needed to, I would delete that stuff. But Justin has a good point: it is probably not worth the effort - and then the Disk Cleanup program is not kosher anyhow.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

cygpup, free advice is worth what you paid for it! So, I will throw my opinion into the mix. It is "safe" to delete the things that Disk Cleanup presents for removal, but the items that you list are not very big. If your goal is to free up space on the hard drive, then deleting error reports and ActiveX controls ("downloaded programs") will net you very little extra drive space.

Instead, if you are looking to make space, I would suggest that you use a space management tool, such as WinDirStat or TreeSize to find what is hogging space on your drive. Use that to find programs to uninstall, data that can be deleted or moved, and so on. Once you are done manually cleaning up what you can, use CCleaner to remove browser caches and such. Finally, just to be neat, defrag the drive. That doesn't give you more space, but it consolidates the free space and may speed up file access.

Oh, yeah, you should also have a backup of all your important data.

Posted 5 years ago

cygpup

Thank you all for your help - I knew I could count on you.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.