The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista copying: Yes to all

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by faryn
  • Latest reply from faryn
  • Topic Viewed 2125 times

faryn

Is there any way to get vista to overwrite files with a "yes to all" button that actually does "yes to all"?

In XP, when you said "yes to all" during a mass file copy, it took care of everything. It assumed you really wanted to overwrite the files. With Vista, it asks about every different type of file and folder.

Oddly enough, you can remove the delete file confirmation through the recycle bin; I no longer have to say "yes" every time I want to delete a file. Surely there must be some way to set permissions so "yes to all" really means that...

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

There should be a "Do this for all files" checkbox on the dialog somewhere.

Posted 6 years ago

faryn

There is, but again, you have to check it for every type of file and folder. XP's "yes to all" was a catch-all that worked for the duration of that copy operation.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

maybe it is a security thing for vista to do this for every file type

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

No, it's not a security thing. I think it's probably a limitation of Vista's new file copying system.
I'll look and see if anything can be done to change it.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

hey jd do you think you might be able to trouble shoot this one
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

edit: or maybe just give some thoughts on it

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@jd ya thats kinda what i meant but didn't really know how to say it

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

How many prompts do you get usually when copying files when checking "Do for all items" on each one?
Normally it shouldn't be that many. One "Do for all items" for Read Only files and one "Do for all items" to replace files, etc.

Posted 6 years ago

faryn

Well, for docs, images, folders. It gets worse when you copy to flash drive, because it alerts you that there are specific attributes that won't transfer. (Vista only, I suppose. I dunno.)

I'm transferring a ton of stuff (10 gigs of video, images, docs, etc.), and it may roll along merrily for a few minutes, and then come across a different file type, and ask about files like that. In other words, I have to baby sit the file transfer.

It just annoys me that I can get Vista to stop asking, again and again, if I'm sure I want to install something (it's a user account setting), and I can get it to stop asking to confirm deletes (a recycle bin setting), but I can't get it to take YES FOR ALL as an answer.

Posted 6 years ago

faryn

By the way, thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You could try using the Command Prompt with Robocopy. It wouldn't ask any questions though it would be a little harder to use and not have as good of a status dialog.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I like Teracopy for mass file copies. Nice GUI, integrates with Explorer, Vista compatible and gives you more control. Set the buffer size, copy-all, skip-all, and so on. If you search these forums, you'll see it mentioned by others.

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Posted 6 years ago

faryn

ScottW, I shall erect a statue in your honor. Thank you! It works like a charm.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That looks like a nice program. I think I'll download it and try it out myself.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Another statue? Just what I need. :P
Glad to be of help.

Posted 6 years ago

faryn

In all seriousness, it's a great little app. I'm using it on my laptop and desktop, and it's a huge help.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!