The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Vista Calendar for XP

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by weboholic
  • Latest reply from weboholic
  • Topic Viewed 21496 times

weboholic

Let's face it - the XP calendar is crap with its drop-down month selection. Vista's calendar was powerful and usable. A XP replacement is doable, right? :)

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

Google Calendar is the best replacement in XP. Do you use Outlook?

Posted 7 years ago

weboholic

Not yet. Right now I'm evaluating PIMs to find the one that best suits my needs. But I'm not talking about a manageable calendar, where you can make entries and set alarms etc. etc.
Upon doubleclick on the XP clock you get a small calendar, which I often use as quick reference point. But this calendar has an awful navigation. I had Vista a few months back and I remember the navigation in its clock-calendar was neat, fast and intuitive.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

How's this?

http://wincalendartime.sourceforge.net/

Posted 7 years ago

weboholic

I've checked the link and I must say - it's really KISS and it comes at nearest of what I'm looking for. Unfortunately it doesn't come along nicely with languages other then english. For example: I'm using an english OS with bulgarian locale settings. The WinCalender fails to use the weekdays shorthands (e.g. monday -> mon etc.) and uses instead the whole name. As a result only the 'monday' and a part of the 'tuesday' columns are visible and the rest is literally cut off. This makes the software useless.

Posted 7 years ago

devon

I use LClock on my XP box and really love it. you can get it here http://www.neowin.net/forum/in.....pic=157465

bonus: you can even skin it.

Posted 7 years ago

weboholic

devon, LClock was a good try, but I didn't liked it.

It's nice to a have an auto-hide feature, but when planing (what else could I be using a calender for) it bugs me. I know its an option and when disabled the calender stays visible unless you click it away. But here is the thing: in a Windows environment you're always looking for the [x] to close the window or for a button. None is there. I found it hard for me to adapt to be clicking once again on the clock to hide. A smarter solution IMHO here would be a [pin] button, which when clicked prevents the auto-hide and vice versa. This solution enables a situation-based auto-hide mechanism and not a general decision.

But that's not what I disliked in the calender: it doesn't show the week number, nor does the default XP calender, nor the Vista one (as far as I remember).

Anyway LClock is still the best one I've tried, but the search continues ...

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.