How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Vista Annoying Folder Auto-Detect

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by r3solution
  • Latest reply from MilesAhed
  • Topic Viewed 2057 times

r3solution

Hi there,

If anyone else is driven crazy by Vista's ridiculously arbitrary folder views, try this tiny tweak program:
http://www.sdsoftware.org/default.asp?id=11214

Sincerely,
r3

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

This sounds like something great. But I'm leery of downloading and installing an exe file from a site I've never heard of based on a post from a brand new member who's only two posts point to the aforementioned exe file.

But boy would I like to have something that lets me have some control of Windows Explorer again. Has anybody tried ExplorerView?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@Appletom. In the interests of seeing what it does, I have downloaded it.
No probs (so far)

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

Thanks Lighthouse. I did a Google search for "ExplorerView" and didn't get far. Then I did a search for "SDSoftware.org" and discovered The Geek did a review of ExplorerView just yesterday! http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....der-types/

I also found a website named VistaTipsNow.com - they blatantly steal The Geek's articles and post them daily.

Posted 6 years ago

r3solution

Hi Appletom,

Yes, it's probably wise to be suspicious to some degree. However, in this case, I can't help being a new member, and after I found that neat little program I just wanted to let the How-To Geek know about it because it sounded like something that would be perfect for his blog (which I've been reading regularly for a long time now). Hence, my posts here.

The site sdsoftware.org has a quite few interesting programs, and one called FontFrenzy that I've seen on a lot of freeware blogs and sites. I've never heard of any problem with them.

Sorry for not filling in more of the background, but I was just excited to find the ExplorerView program.

Sincerely,
r3

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thankyou for your input r3solution. It was not a site I knew of either before today.

Posted 6 years ago

phenix

This program didn't work for me. Maybe it's only intended for Internet Explorer.
I am using Firefox.
curious????

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@phenix: That program is for Windows Explorer. So the web browser you use will not affect it.

Posted 5 years ago

MilesAhed

Vista Explorer Folder View Settings Tutorial

The tutorial above shows how to correct similar problems by hand in the Registry or using a downloaded .reg file. On my system I don't care for thumbnails anyway and was getting the Ole Symbiant or Com Symbiant error whatever, in explorer. Turning off thumbnails and folder type detection got rid of that. Plus I don't have to keep manually setting Explorer Details view back the way I want.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.