virus warning

(14 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by english
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 869 times

english
english

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!
I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!
Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you.

It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list.

This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US
Snopes lists all the names it could come in.

guys i got this at work today be carefull
english

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

english,

Thanks for the WARNING.

Folks use to do this with old 5-1/4 floppies they passed around.

Appears that whoever does this kind of stuff needs to find a Real IT Programming Job.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Looks like this one comes around every 3 months. Is it real or phony? Btw: The link does not work here.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try the link now!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Ya, thanks LH. The link worked now but I still don't know what to think about this thing.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I don't either! But at least we have a good backup system!

Posted 6 years ago

english
english

sorry guys when i got this from our IT dept i thaught it was important enougth to post
i work for a international company and they do not send random mail to staff

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

english. We're not running you down. All info like this is welcome :)

Posted 6 years ago

english
english

ok sorry

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Don't say sorry. You did good :)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

DELETED BY Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

From the bottom of the page: This is an Urban Legend

"Although the Postcard virus is real, it isn't a "BIG VIRUS COMING" (it's already been around in multiple forms for a long time now), it will not "burn the whole hard disc" of your computer, CNN didn't classify it as the "worst virus" ever, and it doesn't arrive in messages bearing a subject line of 'Invitation.'

Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2008 by snopes.com."

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

english, please feel free to send this kind of information around. It is better to be safe than sorry. My only point was, that we had these alerts a few times in the past (one I posted myself) and they always turned out to be phonies. But as I said, better one too many than one too few.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

There's no crying wolf around here.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.