The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Virus

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by treetop07
  • Latest reply from bbno
  • Topic Viewed 1279 times

treetop07

I signed up for the "How to Geek" forum and I was sent an email with 2 links, one to sign-in and an additional link (profile) to change my Password. I signed in with the given Password and then I went to the link to change my Password and during the opeing of the new link I was hit with 10 viruses (Trojan plus a couple others). My Microsoft Essentials caught it and I ran a scan and I am hoping I was able to clean them all out (it gave me an All Safe result). I would have done a Copy and Paste, but did not want to forward just in case. Is it possible that this may be a bad link or something to do with my PC? This leads me to another question which I am not sure if this may have something to do with this issue. I just recently switched over to IE8 for 7 and now most time when I try and open a link to a site (How to geek) included IE8 opens up with the link which takes up a third of my screen and I am not sure if it is taking away from the full inpact of site I am trying to view. Would appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thank you!

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

I have contacted The Geek.

Posted 2 years ago

Tech-No
Tech-No

Something seems to be going on with this site LH. I came here the first thing this morning as I always do then IE closed and a window poped up saying Windows Security has found security issues with this site and suggested I "Scan Now". I used Task Manager to close the window. I ran a scan with Mbam and found nothing plus CCleaner to get rid of temp files. I came back and as of writing this message, haven't had any more probs. May be on my end but I thought you guys would like to know, especially after reading the above post.

Posted 2 years ago

RacerMaster
RacerMaster

@treetop07, try downloading Malwarebytes' and running a full scan. If that doesn't work, try the BitDefender rescue CD. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....fected-pc/
Someone might have hijacked this site. I hope that the Geek comes on here soon. I didn't see anything this morning, though. I'm using Firefox with Adblock Plus with the malware domains list enabled. Maybe that's why.

Posted 2 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

i just got hit with this after a cleaning with ccleaner

Posted 2 years ago

RacerMaster
RacerMaster

This is really strange. Where's The Geek?

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Seems to be an IE-ONLY issue. Nothing here with FF5 on W7 and Chrome on Mac...

Posted 2 years ago

zs474
zs474

all good here, chrome,win7.

Posted 2 years ago

Tech-No
Tech-No

It's good here also. I haven't had anymore problems. Like I said, it is probably on my end. Many virus infected hard drives have been connected to this computer saving data for customers. No telling what's lurking inside.

Posted 2 years ago

RacerMaster
RacerMaster

Like I said above, I didn't see anything with FF5 on Win 7.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

In all browsers, found nothing at all (IE9, FF5, Palemoon, Chrome, Maxthon, safari, Opera and Lunascape)

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

bbno
bbno

I was having some trouble with links but that cleaned up after re-boot,
Im safe here with firefox and i haven't noticed anything strange lately. If this helps at all.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!