The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

video update kills dx11

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by nugar
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1268 times

nugar

Hi guys, I have Windows 7 RC installed and have to use the WDDM drivers that come standard with Windows, because if I update them to the latest nVidia ones it kills Directx11. By that I mean Dx11 won't run at all if I try to play Hellgate London. What is the best way to upgrade to the nvidia drivers and not have this problem, thus allowing DX11 to work correctly.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What kind of graphics adapter do you have, make and model?

Posted 4 years ago

nugar

Hi ScottW it's an Asus en9800GT Hybrid, 512mb version.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Looking at Hellgate London, I don't see mention of it using Direct3D 11. Is there a new patch that adds this?

The Asus card specs say DirectX 10, suggesting that there is no hardware acceleration for DX 10.1 or DX 11. Asus provides their own drivers which may be modified from the stock NVidia 9800GT drivers. Unfortunately, they don't provide Windows 7 drivers at Asus.

Actually, I just downloaded the Asus driver and it looks like it is the stock NVidia driver. Have you run dxdiag? Also, try GPU-Z to find out all you can about the card, the chip, and D3D levels. Do you have the latest BIOS for the card?

Posted 4 years ago

nugar

Don't have the latest bios yet but if I remove the nVidia drivers and just use the WDDM ones with windows 7 Hellgate runs fine in DX10, as soon as I put the WHQL drivers from nvidia back on dx10 in Hellgate won't work. Sorry if I'm a bit confusing, I mentioned DX11 as that is what Windows 7 uses.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What do you mean when you say, "dx10 in Hellgate won't work". Is there some kind of error message that tells you this?

Posted 4 years ago

nugar

No, no error message I just get a black screen and it stops and goes back to desktop. As soon as I go back to the WDDM drivers DX10 in Hellgate goes no problems at all. It seems to be some sort of conflict updating from the WDDM drivers to the WHQL nVidia ones.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

So, I'm guessing that you would have tried the NVidia GeForce driver version 190.38 for Windows 7, such as the 32-bit drivers here. Those drivers will support the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) -- it's the only way to support Direct3D 10. That these drivers are also certified by the Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) is icing on the cake. That means that the drivers have been tested by Microsoft.

As to why it doesn't work with HGL, it's hard to say. There is still the possibility that Asus has modified the stock NVidia drivers in some way. You might ask around in forums where other gamers are running Windows 7 RC to see what kind of trouble and solutions they know of.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!