How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Video malfunction

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by mayagrafix
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1541 times

mayagrafix
mayagrafix

I have an older Gigabyte mobo using a P4 with a Gigabyte ATI 9200 card which began to corrupt the video output so I swapped in another even older ATI 7500 card and now the screen temperature is changing all the time. Is my motherboard at fault or is the monitor failing?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that you video card may be getting too hot you may want to make sure all of the fans are runing inside of you pc to see if there could be a heat prob. or you may need more fans. this happend to me once because i had unplugged the fan on the video card then forgot to plug it back in and my screen was going all funny then noticed that the fan was un plugged but your is probs just that it isn't getting cooled down enough.

you may want to look into one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....;CatId=494

Posted 6 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

i would have to agree with jack7h3r1pp3r that is likely a heating problem

i too have experienced the same issue, and was able to fix it by changing the layout of the cooling fans in my case.

Posted 6 years ago

mayagrafix
mayagrafix

Thanks guys. More fans coming up!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

¡Hola, Señor Geeko! I saw this in your profile -- that's a good one.

As a quick test to see if cooling is your problem, try taking the covers off of your case. You can use a desktop or floor-standing fan to blow air through the case and see if the video corruption goes away. You can also do a visual inspection of the fans, as jack7h3r1pp3r suggests, to see that they are all spinning.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.