The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Video Fix OR Motherboard Selection

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by RonZarn
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 278 times

RonZarn

The video for our 2006 Gateway GT5220 PC has stopped working. The PC boots as the XP Pro Windows startup/shutdown and Avast themes can be heard. The motherboard has already been separately replaced and repaired once about 2 yrs. apart. I've tried removing and reinserting the RAM. That worked once. I bought and installed new RAM. That had no affect.

Please suggest a solution for fixing it, or how I can determine what motherboard will fit the case so I can substantially upgrade the motherboard, RAM and processor.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

http://support.gateway.com/s/P.....51nv.shtml

choose components, you will be taken here: http://support.gateway.com/s/P.....1cl2.shtml

under cases and case hardware you will find two cases for your model Gateway. Choose which case you have. Then choose Specifications. Down on the chart you will see which form factor mobo you will need.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

You can also go into BIOS and look for a video setting. Make sure the setting is set to whichever video output you are using. Either you are using onboard video or have a video card installed.

Posted 1 year ago

RonZarn

The onboard video died about 18 mos. ago. I installed a video card to replace it. The video card worked for 6 mos. I found a 3rd party vendor who fixed the motherboard. That allowed the onboard video to work for 7 mos. Reinstalling the video card did not help, nor did buying a new video card.

It could be the BIOS setting, but I can't see it. The monitor stays totally black during the boot process. It does, however, register the launch of windows as the monitor stops flashing momentarily. However, it stays black. I have believed it could be the BIOS setting, but I can't see it to check. I tried removing the CMOS overnight, but that did not improve anything.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Do you feel knowledgeable enough and comfortable concerning building a computer from scratch ??

What is your budget for a new machine ??

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Sounds like your mobo has seen better days. Really pointless to keep throwing $$ into it. I would recommend either what raphoenix suggests or at a minimum upgrading the Mobo, CPU & RAM to something way faster than what you now have.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!