I have spent a few hours today to experiment with video capture, edit and publishing. I like to invite your comments on the results, which I think are stunningly good. I have to thank ScottW who is ,so to speak, the "father" of this experiment, because he found the 2 nifty programs I am using and also pointed me to Vimeo.
Here is what I did:
1. I "played" 2 .pps files on my screen and captured those with the WMCapture Program. I chose those .pps files because I thought that they were particularily challenging for a video capture progam. The "Mirror" file I got from Sinclair's skydrive.
2. Then I fist cropped the files with the Machete program because the files had my desktop views in the beginning and the end and I really only wanted he .pps part.
3. Since I made 2 seperate capture files, I had to put them together into 1 file. For this I also used the Machete program. I chose this pogram because unlike WMM, Machete does not alter your files - it just "pastes" them together. That guarentees that there is no loss of quality which can be significant with WMM.
4. Then I uploaded the pasted file to Vimeo. And here is the result: http://www.vimeo.com/3288748
Note: The captured files sometimes run a little faster than the originals because I kept clicking on them to advance them a little faster.
5. For comparison you can download the original .pps files from here.
I have also done a compilation of the 2 captured output files with WMM. Below you can see the data differences in the Machete and WMM outputs.
NOTE: The "Machete input" is the data from only 1 input file, but the parameters (other than size) of the other file are the same.
I think the results that those 2 little programs provide are impressive and it did not even suffer in the Vimeo transformation. Yes, one has to spend a modest sum for the licenses, but as always, quality does not come for nothing.
If I had to change one thing, I would probably increase the kbps for the audio capture.