The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

VHS/DVD Player Inquiry

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Chrisgopher
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 376 times

Chrisgopher

I am looking for a good quality VHS player for my home entertainment system. I don't need anything super-fancy or expensive; just something that is maybe a combo VHS/DVD deck , has VHS auto-tracking, and maybe VHS to DVD recording. My main goal is the get good snow-free playback on my old video cassette tapes, and my current VCR is an old piece of junk that has manual tracking.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands or models? I was looking at the Philips DVP3345VB but I don't know if it has auto-tracking or not. I thought I would ask fellow geeks here since information on VHS players is getting harder and harder to find.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi Chrisgopher, what country do you live in ?

Posted 1 year ago

Chrisgopher

United States.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sorry, I can't help you, but maybe one of our American members can. Please note that the forum tends to be quiet on Fridays, and the weekend. So may take a few days.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I just did a search on Amazon (I live in the US) and they are really expensive.
Here are the results: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9.....1362096845

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Are you buying on-line or in store? You can google the set you mentioned and check the specs. Some of the playback is going to depend on the original recording.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Old tapes can only be cleaned up so much. So start pessimistic and hope for the best.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Right you are. Only had a few from a camcorder. (my son playing football 25 years ago) Put them on a DVD and then downloaded them to computer hard drive. And, backed up to external HD. Quality was still only what the VHS tape was though. I think what the OP listed is good enough to do that.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I know cleanup software exists, but I have never used any.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!