The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Very frustrating wireless network problem

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cosrocket
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 316 times

cosrocket

I posted a couple of days ago that I ham having a tough time getting my laptop running Windows 7 to connect to the internet. No matter what I do it just will not connect. Sometimes the wireless icon looks good and I still cannot connect. Sometimes it says I have a strong signal and sometimes it shows no signal strength at all and sometimes it shows no network is found...it's all over the place. I also checked in device manager and it says it is working properly and I have done 2 system restores to an earlier date and uninstalled then reinstalled the wireless network all to no avail. I know it's not the modem or router because my other computers and devices work fine wirelessly.

Here is my new question...I tried to ping the IP address but I get a response in the command prompt that I cannot ping the IP address because "the media is disconnected". What exactly does that mean?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Sounds like you might have a defective USB wireless device?

Have you tried opening the Network and Sharing Center, then the Change Advanced Settings, highlight the network connect and then right mouse button on it and select DIAGNOSE?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

I had some problems in the past similar to this, made me switch almost all my devices to hardwired ethernet. Seems that many neighbors have the same ISP and the same router/gateway with identical default settings, so basically everyone was on channel "6". Getting into the router and changing my channel to 11 made it much easier to connect. Once in a while I will take a look at what other wifi nets in my area are broadcasting on and adjust accordingly. I think this is a possibility unless you have ruled it out. Your ISP will be able to tell you how to log-into your modem/router. It is worth a try before you try to buy new hardware, unless there are no other wifi nets in range....

Posted 1 year ago

cosrocket

If it was the channel wouldn't I have problems connecting with my other computers and devices?

Irv, I don't have any usb wireless devices but I'll try what you suggested. I did try to diagnose the problem from the icon in the taskbar but it says Windows cannot repair the problem.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Look in Device Manager and see if there are any Yellow symbols by the wireless device, try Rolling back the driver, then Updating the driver.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

If it is a channel issue the connectivity can be fine one moment, and go bad the next as the interference depends on the neighbor's net usage on that channel at the same time you are working. At least, that is how I understand it. Once I changed to channel 11 (rather than default channel 1) I no longer experienced this frustrating situation. The fact that other devices are not affected is a puzzle. Are they "farther away" from a potential interfering (neighbor's) antenna?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.