How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Using Windows 7 on EHD?

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by PebblesCave
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 519 times

PebblesCave

Hi,

I bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium the day before Windows 7 came out (yes, I know..I was kicking myself lol but I didn't know 7 was so near to being released) but the manufacturers are sending me a free Windows 7 disc so it's not too bad. What I wanted to know is, is it possible to install Windows 7 onto my External Hard Drive so I can see what it's like and get used to it for if/when I decide to install it on the PC?

I've been using a PC with XP for years but have a laptop with Vista on which I've been using very rarely for about 2 years but I hate it. I don't like laptops for a start and as I was new to laptops and Vista I've not liked using it. But, using Vista on this new PC hasn't been too bad over the past week and I quite like it. lol I know I will have to use Windows 7 at some point in time but having a look at it and getting used to it via the EHD seems a good idea..but can it be done?

Thanks.

Pebbles

Posted 5 years ago

whs

If you just want to test it, you can install it in a virtual partition ( http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=7 ). Use Virtual Box and allocate 1GB RAM and 20 or 25GB disk space to the virtual partition. That works quite well. The main advantages are that you can switch back and forth between Vista and W7 with one click and if you ever want to uninstall it, you just delete 2 folders in Vista. No messing around with the bootrecord etc. And if you happen to have 3 or 4GB RAM total, there is no noticable performance impact. On a 2GB system, Vista will run somewhat slower.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.