Using windows 7 for approx 1 year

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by drifta
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1998 times

drifta
drifta

i just stumbled upon this hack.

1. Click on “Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories“. Right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run As Administrator“. If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing “cmd” in Startmenu Search box and press “Ctrl+Shift+Enter“.

2. Now provide following command:

slmgr -rearm

3. You'll be prompted to restart Windows, restart it and the trial period will be reset to 30 days again.

4. You can use the same command 3 times. In this way you'll be able to use Windows for 120 days without activation.

5. Now its time for the main trick. Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ SL

6. In right-side pane, change value of SkipRearm to 1.

7. Now you'll be able to use the slmgr -rearm command 8 more times. So you'll get total 360 days for using Vista and 7 without activation:

120 days by using slmgr -rearm command before registry editing

+

240 days after registry editing

||

360 days

from

EDIT: cant post the link to the original website for some reason. ill get back to you with that.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Not sure anyone would want to use Beta 1 for a full year. There will be a second and possibly more releases. Since this beta is good for 6 months with a readily available key, I don't see the point.

Posted 5 years ago

dinesh
dinesh

thank you so much,. this hack is useful to those who do not have internet connection but still want to use the beta version for a long time like me.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@drifta would you mind if I used parts of this hack in my blog?

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

not at all, go ahead.
well i actually dont have the rights to say yes or no. i found it from askvg.com so it doesnt belong to me. but if you want to use it, you have a go ahead from me.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

cool thanks :D

Posted 5 years ago

djb6

It isn't really a hack, since Microsoft is the one that came out and explained how to do this. I don't know where the article is right now, I read it from a Microsoft spokesperson. But yeah, it still is helpful.

Although DINESH, you're online when you post here, it take about thirty seconds to google for a key (microsoft only handed out about ten different keys for the beta testing, so this isnt illegal), and you can activate your copy by phone once you have your key. Just trying to help.

Posted 5 years ago

dinesh
dinesh

Thanks to all of you guys for helping me out. However, just 1 mistake i have found in this tutorial is :
The actual registry path is : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtecionCenter
and not the one which is listed above.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Actually, that will not work to use Windows 7 beta for a year.
It will activate Windows 7 beta for one year but Windows 7 beta has another piece of code that will kill the install in August regardless of activation status.
The timebomb feature as it's called has been in every Microsoft product beta since at least Windows 98 came out before activation ever existed.
I read somewhere the reason is because some computer manufacturers installed a beta copy of Windows 95 on computers they sold.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

what if you changed the date on the machine???

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@jack7h3r1pp3r: I have no idea but I would assume if you set the date backwards before the timebomb feature went off then you could keep but it's not the best idea. If your date is incorrect then you have bad calendar reminders and such.
It doesn't matter anyways as by August there will a new beta of Windows 7 out.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

i certainly hope thats the case

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

actually from what i have heard is that as long as there are not any major flaws they will be releasing it soon after aug 1st

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@drifta: Based on what I saw in the Windows 7 beta, I believe that Microsoft will have either a better beta version or the release out by August. I'm not sure how close to August it will be or what state it will be in (Beta, Pre-release or Released) but I can say for certain that if Microsoft does more of the same good work as they already have for Windows 7, another version of it will be out before August.
I don't know what exactly Microsoft did with the Windows development but they certainly producing a far better product in a shorter amount of time then they did with Windows Vista (which is actually pretty good except that it took 5 years to get Windows Vista when that should have only taken 2 or 3 years at the most to develop and have far fewer performance/usability issues then it does).

@jack7h3r1pp3r: That is a possibility too. Only time will tell.
From trying the Windows 7 beta myself, I can say that well it fixed many Vista problems, it also has many usability problems that need to be fixed by August and based on Microsoft's track record for releasing every version late either by months or years I highly doubt Microsoft could release it by August.
Which is too bad at least for me as the fixes for Windows Vista problems far out way the usability problems Windows 7 has so I would use Windows 7 right now but I'm just not willing to risk the stability of my computer for a beta version of something as critical as an Operating System.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!