The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Using Google Calendar and Mail

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ReadandShare
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 271 times

ReadandShare

For ye Google mail, contacts, calendar users out there...

Since switching from MS Office XP Outlook to Google, I haven't looked back. Google is a joy to use. But I do have concerns about backing up. Creating a backup copy of mail/contacts/calendar was easy with MS Outlook. But what about with Google?

1. I have set Google to save my mail and calendar info onto my computer for offline use. But does this constitute "back up"? I wonder -- if Google should ever corrupt or lose my online info -- would synching carry that error over to my local copy?

2. Contacts -- there's no local access for contacts. To me, contact info is even more critical than individual email. What do ye Google Mail users do for contacts backup?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I feel the best way to handle Contacts is to save them on your computer as a .CSV file (Comma Separated Value) This file can then be imported into other mail programs, or used in Office Excell or any spread Sheet progam. Instructions for GMail Export of Contacts

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Yes, that would work, and I've done it a few times. But I also have to remember to do it. Wonder if there's a way to automate? I don't need it to automatically import into any programs... just knowing that the csv file is always the most current will suffice. It's only for backup purpose.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.