The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

User Profile Deletes every time I log in

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by zakbain
  • Latest reply from ian2
  • Topic Viewed 1591 times

zakbain

I added my laptop to the domain that we have at work, but still used my local account Zak. Today, I logged in with my domain account and it let me in, created a desktop, documents, and everything. However once I restarted the computer, I logged in to my local account and all my data disappeared (desktop, documents, pictures, videos, everything under C:\Users\Zak). I logged in with my domain account but all the data was saved on the domain account. Every time I log back in to the local account it resets my desktop and gives me new documents, desktop, and everything. I created a new account and the new account did the same thing. When I logged in everything was reset to normal. I looked in user profiles, and there were profiles created for each of the domain accounts that i had logged in with but there were no profiles created for this account. I checked and it said that this account is using a temporary profile. I don't know whether it is a problem with my computer configuration or the domain controller settings. And I really would like to recover my old settings.

Edit: Also when I went into my account properties, under profile my profile path was empty. Do I need to create a new path or something?

Thanks
-Zak

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

Domain-joined computers can join your homegroup, so you can use your workdomained laptop at home .
If your using the laptop for work then its easier to leave it joined to Domain,
Your work related data is not shared with the homegroup.

Windows 7 can not be part of a domain and a workgroup/homegroup at the same time.
AS far as I know.
And as your data was all moved to the domain settings you have not lost anything.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.