How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Recovering files from a dead Hard drive

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rftamilmani
  • Latest reply from markwilliams279
  • Topic Viewed 834 times

rftamilmani

Recovering data from a dead hard drive

My laptop's Hard drive is dead. But i've very essential files there to recover. After going through the above link's procedure,I cannot see the Media volume and it shows all other things like File system,CD/DVD drive and all. How to solve that? Please help me in this

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

rftamilmani, hi and welcome.

Do you not see your windows folder?

It is there in the windows folder, not the boot CD folder

Posted 1 year ago

rftamilmani

how to see that?

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

rftamilmani, check my first post here, and check if the hard drive appears on the left bar in the "Disk Utility", and check the "SMART Status" and "SMART Data" for it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....ost-335994

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If the disk can not be read or recognized then you would have to go to a professional data recovery service. They are expensive. It would depend on just how valuable your data is.

Posted 1 year ago

stinger608
stinger608

Actually Xhi, there is a possible other way.
Have you got a way to hook it up to another computer quickly? If so, put the dead drive in the freezer for about 12 hours. Pull the drive and quickly hook it up to another system. I mean quickly! This may work however it may only last for a few minutes to a half hour at best.

I have done this with a couple of drives and was lucky enough to recover the needed files.

Posted 1 year ago

markwilliams279
markwilliams279

Use a data recovery software You can find an efficient data recovery software from internet. This will help you to recover data.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!