The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

use add /remove in windows 7

(19 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by ambertape
  • Latest reply from ambertape
  • Topic Viewed 1607 times

ambertape

Is there a way to have the add/remove work in windows 7. Whenever it says remove a device driver, I can't find it in Windows explorer and knowing that I could place icon on my desktop to add or remove qill be very helpful.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Drivers you can find in Device Manager. What asks you to remove them ?

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

LH,

I made a mistake. What I meant was add/remove programs. I tried to install a IDT audio driver from Intel installations disc and it failed. So I went on line and tried loading a later driver and it failed but when I tried the latest driver, it said to remove the earlier version that didn't work. I looked in device manager and I didn't see the driver the program wanted me to uninstall and usually I might find this in the old add/remove programs. So if I knew where it was I would try and uninstall it but don't see it. Is uninstall or change programs another way of saying/add or remove programs or is it different. In uninstall /change programs listing there wasn't a listing of the driver it asked me to uninstall.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ambertape,
---
Might as well get introduced to this now.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-in-vista/
iCACLS.exe, CACLS.exe, Etc.........
http://ss64.com/ps/
http://ss64.com/nt/
---
If the driver was put in with an installer package, that's going to have to be removed also.
---
Will have to dig out the registry too.
---
Never just start trying things in Win7 without having a backup image file.
Although Win7 may appear simple, it is a hugely complicated O/S on a NTFS formated drive.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

Rick P.,
The original installation disc of the IDT driver failed. The later driver I tried didn't seem to have a installation program but did know that a earlier version was on my hard drive. I didn't see it in device manager at all and asked about add/remove programs capability because a lot of times one can find drivers there. Will I have to look into the registry to clean this out ?

I made a backup restore disc last week if this means anything.

What is take ownership ?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ambertape,
---
Suggest you restore the machine like it was using your backup restore disk that you made.
---
Make an inventory of the drivers you need and post back so we can help you find the correct one or version.
---
Also, please post make and exact model of machine plus if using Win7 64 or 32 bit edition.
---
As mentioned, Win7 is pretty complicated so suggest a Good Reference Manual plus always read The Geek HowTos. :) :)
---
The [ last ] post by Member Symantic in the below topic is for a FREE Manual you can download. :) :)
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=2

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

I didn't restore the computer because I found the driver in recent places. I looked in tthe registry and found one instance of Sigmatel and deleted it. This is the driver I am looking for my Windows 7-64 bit computer. My computer is a Intel DP35DP computer (motherboard) with 4 GB of ram. The original installation disc from Intel failed installing this audio driver and I thought by going to Intel website and trying several versions, all failed and kept asking for previous version to be unstalled and went around the merry-go-round. It doesn't show up in device manager. If I had the feature of Windows XP add/remove programs, it might of shown up there.

I also need a driver for PCI simple communications controller. I downloaded the manual and will read it. If it is like what you inferred, I will buy it . The price is very reasonable. Thanks for your help.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

I did a system restore. I tried to read a old dmive looking for a certain file and windows 7 didn't want to boot up properly and suggested a system restore and it is working properly.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

I noticed after doing a restore that my Plextor writer isn't working at all. My windows 7 is on a sata drive.My Intel motherboard has provisions for a ATA drives like a dvd writer as well as a hard disk. One of the first things I did when installing Windows 7 was to make a image of Windows 7 on another drive. At first I suspected the cable might be bad so I changed the cable, connected to the Plextor and the ATA drive with Windows 7 and device manager showed my Plextor drive working as well as the hard drive. I put back the old ATA cable and both the drive and dvd writer worked properly and showed up in device manager. I disconnected the ATA drive, reconnected my sata drive and it will not show up in device manager at all. I am getting this error "

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details.

I asked Windows to search for another drive and it came back saying the driver used is the best one. I searched on Plextors website and they had no drivers, expecting Microsoft to provide their driver which they did on my Sata drive. I also tried a dvd-rom drive and it too didn't work in on my sata drive. So at this moment I can't use my ata dvd writer and I don't feel like buying a sata writer.

How can I get things back in order because two of the cd\dvd programs I installed can't find the writer ?

I have a thought. Will Windows do a repair like XP ? If so, I have a external USB Memorex writer that I could install and make it the first bootable device and maybe it could do a repair or use backup restore disc to see if it can repair my system but I will have to use external to accomplish this.

I look forward to your assistance. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ambertape,
---
Thank You for posting back.
---
Win7 should have recognized all ATA (IDE) devices when the O/S was first installed.
---
There is no special driver for ATA (IDE) optical drives that I'm aware of.
In most cases, Optical drives use about 5 ATA (IDE) universal drivers included with Win7.
---
Plextor does have utilities for setting up the laser but that is not what the problem is.
---
The firmware may need updating but Win7 should discover or recognize most optical drives anyway.
=========
Your suggestion is a Good One.
IF the Bios USB setting can be set up for CDROM, then you can try to boot from the Memorex writer and see if you can do a Repair or Restore.
---
My Bios USB can be set to emulate a Floppy Drive, Hard Drive or CDROM Drive for Booting so [ is possible ] that your machine can be setup also.
=========
Post back as to success with above method.
---
Regards,
Rick P.
---
Edit:
Ensure Optical Drive Jumpers match position on ATA (IDE) cable. Do NOT use Cable Select Position.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

Rick.

I am stuck. I connected the memorex external writer and I get the same error

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details.

I asked Windows to search for another drive and it came back saying the driver used is the best one.

I connected the firewire cable instead of the usb and get the same problem like the ide writer so no matter what I connect, the error seems to be with two different writers. Something is weird. Yet with a different drive with backup of windows 7 the Plextor writer is clean in device manager.

Look forward to new suggestions

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ambertape,
---
The Intel DP35DP with P35 chipset product is a very straight forward and good motherboard.
Also has an excellent manual which I downloaded and read through.
---
http://www.intel.com/products/.....erview.htm
http://www.intel.com/support/m.....026646.htm
---
I assume you have one SATA Hard Drive, one IDE (ATA) Optical Drive and that you Clean Installed Win7 using an optical drive.
---
The only thing I can think of is to [ Re-Read the Manual ] again, clear the CMOS, re-setup the Bios and some how get one the of the optical drives working so that you can re-install / repair the system.
---
There are some updates for the Bios which need to be applied and also some LAN driver updates that I could see.
---
The machine is advertised as Vista Ready so Win7 should not be a problem.
---
Setup the machine according to the manual.
Leave the FireWire and other connections alone until you can get an optical drive working on the ATA (IDE) Bus.
---
Post Back immediately if my assumptions are incorrect.

Also a picture of Device Manager would be helpful.
---
In the mean time, let me ponder the situation.
Help from other members is solicited also :)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

Rick,

This system is in my house so I will try tonight and get back. Thinking aloud. If my cd-rom is the first bootable device, couldn't I try trying to reinstall Windows and see if there is a repair section like old xp disc. Is there a repair section on the dvd ?

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

Rick,

I posted same question on compuserve and got this reply which sounds very interesting reply.
Do you or did you have Roxio installed?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

indocates this is most likely an Upper/Lower Filter issue. The article details how to troubleshoot this...

Is link button what I use to send a file ? or image ?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

ambertape. You can edit your posts for 30 minutes.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ambertape,
----
AH HA the old filter problem with the Roxie software issue.
---
DO the filter repair registry thing.
---
Once you get the optical drive working, then do repair of the system.
---
If you had said Roxie, I would not have had to ponder. (LOL) (LOL)
---
Use FREE Imgburn program. MUCH better.
Uninstall Roxie after doing the system repair.
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

So far no luck. I erased 150 upperfilters and 50 lowerfilters and I still have the same problem. There are more lowerfilters and upper filters to erase but it doesnt seem to help. How do I attach a png file to show the device manager ?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ambertape,
---
Hold on.
---
Something is bad wrong.
---
The installation will have to be "nuked".
---
Do you have the Original Genuine Win7 Installation DVD ??
---
If so, you must configure the machine to boot from one of the optical drives.
=============
http://www.intel.com/support/m.....026646.htm
Enhanced IDE Interface
The board’s IDE interface handles the exchange of information between the processor
and peripheral devices such as hard disk drives and CD-ROM drives. The interface
supports:
• Up to two IDE devices (such as hard drives)
• ATAPI-style devices (such as CD-ROM drives)
• Older PIO Mode devices
• Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100 protocols
=============
Can you get a friend locally to help you with the machine ??
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ambertape

Rick,

I found over 150 instances upperfilters that I erased and there was more to go, so I stopped and looked for lowerfilters and found over 50. I thought this was wrong and every time I went into device mnager it still had a problem. So I took Windows 7 dvd and tried a repair but that didn't work so I finally selected system restore back to 1/14/2010 and it restored everything but lost many programs. As soon as I saw that my dvd writer worked, I immediately made a backup image on a usb 1TB drive and after it finished making the image, it made a Windows 7 repair disc-64 bit. In retrospect maybe I should of tried the earlier repair disc I made but that is water under the bridge.

1. I have been using for last four years Sonic (Roxio) RecordNow Deluxe program. Can I try and install this program again ?

2. I have been using Creator 10 for over a year. Can I install this disc because I use it for audio editing ? What are the problems with Roxio products with relations to upperfilters and lower filters that I should be aware of and how can I protect myself from this problem ?

3. Would a better uninstaller program help ?

4. I see that the Windows Backup Image isn't visible at all. It is a read-only file. Can I copy this file to another drive or must it be on the drive it was made on ?

5. I need a driver for PCI simple communications controller. Isn't this for a modem ? Did Intel include a modem on their motherboard ?

Look forward to your reply. Thanks for your help.

Ambertape

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.