How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

use access 97 to modify Foxpro 8 tables

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by willyb21
  • Latest reply from Michael
  • Topic Viewed 903 times

willyb21

Sorry for the long post.
This has been an issue at work for a long time and my boss has offered me a week off if I can resolve it. We have many databases and most use Foxpro tables that he wants to modify using Access (97 preferably but 2000 or 2003 is also acceptable) The issue is When viewing tables the data in all field is essentially locked to the amount of characters that already exist. ie; if the field has 5 characters in it he can write 1 to 5 but not a sixth. Also when opening a large table access takes an extremely long time (10 to 15 minutes) to open it almost as if it has to read all the data in the table before it can display. I am not a Database person I am the Hardware tech here but I try and help out where I can.
I really appreciate any insight anyone can offer. and please don't hesitate to ask for clarification if you need any other info as I am sure I missed some important point. We do have the latest ODBC drivers installed and all the Service packs for both Windows and Access.

Thanks again
Will

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

The long post is not a problem - provides lots of information.

Right. For the amount of time it takes to open it all depends on the size of the database, and the speed of the computer, speed to the network, etc.

For the "1 to 5 but not the sixth" my understanding is that the field can only take 5 characters, so you would need to modify it to take more. Sadly I am no expert with Microsoft Visual FoxPro.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.