The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

usb/mouse stopped working

(39 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Codie-lyn
  • Latest reply from kairoga
  • Topic Viewed 84844 times

Codie-lyn

I am running Windows Vista on my HP laptop computer. I have been using a Logitech cordless mouse that i just plug a little mini receiver into the USB (?port) on the side of my laptop. All has been well for the last four months since i bought it, but just the other day - it completely stopped working on me. Now yes, the batteries are brand new and working just fine..the power is on..etc etc.

I actually think it has something to do more with the usb port itself...or maybe the touchpad? Reason being.. is I plugged in my corded mouse which is working fne on my desktop computer, and neither one will work on my laptop.

Is there some way I could have.. ?turned off the usb thing? or.. im not too sure

Any suggestions?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Does the touchpad work?
Can you plug another type of device (ie ext. drive) into that usb port (to check if it is a mouse or port problem)

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

Yes the touchpad works..
My ext. hard drive crapped out on me recently too...
and the oly other thing I have right now to go into a usb is my ipod.. which i seem to be having problems with as well.. but i'm not sure if in this case it's just because i don't know how to use it. When i plug the ipod in, it seems to be charging, but my computer does not pic it up, either as a storage deice nor in itunes. ???

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have a look in Control Panel > Device Manager. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and then right click on each one in turn, selecting "Properties" each time. Anything unusual there?

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

nope, not that i can see

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Does the mouse work in another port?

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

no

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

With the mouse plugged in, goto Device Manager. Right click on "Mice and other Pointing Devices" and select "Scan for hardware changes"

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

nope
i still just have the touchpad showing under mouse and pointing devices

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Did it stop working just after you installed Vista Updates?

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

no, it was weird, i was using it... went outside for a min. came back and it didn't work anymore..?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Perhaps it missed you, and is now sulking?

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

lol. well that's about the best i can come up with too.
make sense anyways.. lol

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I can offer no more at the moment, sorry. But I will keep looking/thinking. Maybe someone else will come up with something!

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

I SURE HOPE SO.
This touchpad is killing me!!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

There is a little button on the USB dongle (receiver) and also on the bottom of the mouse. Press both those buttons at the same time for about 20 seconds. That will sync the mouse with the dongle and it should work then.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@whs. But not on the wired mouse, which also doesn't work!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Lighthouse, ya, you're right. Missed that part. Maybe there is a problem with the power setting of the hub. Have to do some research to find that part - don't remember right now. We discussed that when I wanted to cut the power on the USB ports. But I forgot the details. Have to proceed to lunch now. If you have a minute, have a look.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=34

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@whs, bon appetite, and I don't think it's that simple

Posted 6 years ago

Codie-lyn

no suggestions whs???!?
it's not that simple
first of all..there is no button on the usb reciever for my mouse, it looks just like a little flash drive type of thing, no buttons though, there is one on my mouse, yes, but i've only tried that a billion times. I think it has to be something with my usb ports, because i have now tried the mouse on my desktop computer, and it worked just fine, but neither the cordless nor corded mouse will work on my laptop. To make matters worse, i was foolisly trying to fix this problem and did a system restore back to a few days ago, now my touchpad settings are kapput and I can't seem to get back to change them, it always says (not respondng) and then i get a message about some windows shell dll can not be accessed or something like that.. I am at a loss without my mouse.. someone.. anyone.. you have to know something?!?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.