The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - usb port disables internet router

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by whitingerd
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 415 times

whitingerd

while using my Toshiba laptop on the internet, if I plug anything into any of the USB ports my computer disconnects me from the internet. I am using a wireless router supplied by Charter Cable. My OS is Vista. This problem started a month ago. I have installed and then uninstalled several programs while looking for a good PDF writing program. I cannot do a "restore", that program has never worked on this computer. I also can't do a restore in safe mode because this computer won't let me create a restore point. Hoping someone out there has run into this problem before and has a fix. Also I don't have any computer workings skills so if you have a fix please explain in the simplest of instructions. Thank you

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Do you have a Vista installation disk. sounds like you need to do a clean install to fix the restore issue.
The USB / internet dropping almost sounds like a Poewr Supply problem or driver problem.
When this happens what do you see or get? Have you looked in your device manager to see if you have any yellow triangles. If so then update your wireless drivers.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.