How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - USB mouse stopped Working

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by sukalyan
  • Latest reply from marks100
  • Topic Viewed 38955 times

sukalyan
sukalyan

Suddenly my usb mouse stopped working in my system. Actually i was using a PS/2 mouse with a usb converter. My system has only one PS/2 port for Keyboard. It has 4 USB port at back and 2 front USB port.
Previously i thought may be the issue with my mouse or the converter. So i bought a new usb mouse. But it also not working. The activity light is coming but the cursor is not moving.
When i tried to check if the USB port are working or not with some flash drive they are working fine.
Even used the ps2 keyboard with that usb converter it was working fine.

So what is the problem

is it any driver related issue ????
or
may it be some virus problem ????

Please tell me how to fix it..............i have searched lots of forum regarding it but could not find proper solution.................

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

hi sukalyan, first thing try different port. is it battery mouse(cordless)or try in a friends pc see if same problem happens,post back:)

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Hi. Did you install any new hardware or software around the time it stopped working?

Maybe boot in to safe mode (press f8 repeatedly after POST (Power on Self Test (the first screen you see)) to open the advanced boot menu then select safe mode. Does the mouse work now?

Posted 4 years ago

jenniferlee76

you may have accidentally deleted the driver for the usb mouse. Try to navigate to hardware under system properties and rt click the mouse under input devices and select "properties" then goto driver tab to check. Also try to "update driver" for the mouse on same tab. Good luck, Jen

Posted 4 years ago

sukalyan
sukalyan

no it is not cordless.

yesterday i tried to uninstall all the usb device from device manager and restarted it as some guys recommended it . But its no use.

No i did not install any new hardware at that time. But when i tried to use the new USB mouse a pop up message is coming "one of the USB of your computer has been malfunctioned and Windows can not recognise it" some kind of it.

Posted 4 years ago

kristain12

hi sukalyan ,u do first thing to try is uninstalling the software/drivers, then installing the latest from the manufacturers website.

Posted 4 years ago

sukalyan
sukalyan

@PostheticHead
hey i tried in safe mode ......... no difference

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Ok. Hold the Windows key and press R, now type "runas /user:Administrator cmd" to open an elevated command prompt and type without quotes "sfc /scannow" then wait for the scan to finish.

I'd also try booting from a live cd (like ubuntu) to rule out hardware trouble.

Posted 4 years ago

kristain12

hi u can tried these steps for your problem
Click Start, and type device manager in the Start Search box.
Click Device Manager in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Right-click USB Root Hub and then click Properties.
In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab.
Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager.

Posted 4 years ago

sukalyan
sukalyan

hey marks
u were right............
actually both my new usb mouse and converter were faulty.......... when i checked in my frnds pc they did not work.........
so i have exchanged the mouse with a new one........it is working fine now.......

thanks to everyone who has put their valuable comment on this....... thanks a lot

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

great enjoy, we will hopefully find the problem in the end 'one big brain on this site' lol, hope we don't catch a virus. next please!:)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!