The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

USB key unreadable - this is desperate

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by USBnotworking
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1365 times

USBnotworking

I recently upgraded my home PC's (2 of) to the test version of Windows 7. I took my usual USB backup of both using a DVD on my main machine and a USB stick (PLAY.COM 4GB) without any problems.

HOWEVER, I discovered that one piece of hardware on the second PC would not work with Windows 7 and there were no updates to allow it to do so, therefore I reverted back to the original XP installation.

When I went to restore the backup from the USB key, it recongnised the key, but when I try to explore its contents, I get "Please Insert disk in drive e:" and it refuses to open. I tried the key on my main Windows 7 machine and it says "this disk needs to be formatted"

This is desperation, as the key contains four years worth of documents and photographs...

Can anyone help?

Posted 4 years ago

yukeming

i go through this problem once.
two possibilities. you thing got crazy, and decided to delete its own partition.(could be due to acronis true image)
if this is it, then you only way is to do a quick format and format it.
you can restore much o your data with a data recovery software.
otherwise, you can check you usb key in another computer, in school or in office, and see if it is really corrupted and see if you can see the contents of your usb key.
wish you goo luck!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

There are a bunch of file recovery apps mentioned in this thread,
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=5

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!