The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

usb hdd not seen nor lettered in my comp

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by vanilla
  • Latest reply from Eyevan
  • Topic Viewed 1445 times

vanilla

I am trying to rescue files off a hard drive that has windows ME on it, I took the hdd out of the pc, put it into 2 different usb external cases, ... it installs on my xp machines, but then never shows up in "my computer".. I can however see it in system tools/computer management/disk tools.. but can do nothing with it there.. does anyone have any suggestions to help me ? i've tried it on 4 pc's.. all the same ... i even installed the drive into one of my pc's as a slave drive, and it's not seen there either.
there is never a letter assigned to the drive either, nor no way to assign one, my only option in disk manager is to delete the partition, and that is not an option

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

From earlier today, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....indows-xp/

Posted 6 years ago

vanilla

that doesn't work - there's no letter assigned to it at all in disk manager.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Taken from the comments below the previous article. Hope this helps.

Posted 6 years ago

vanilla

Thanks for the replies Scott.. that didn't work either.

any other ideas?

I'm unable to access the drive at all on any of my pc's

I tried "taking ownership" of the files, to no avail, as there is no security tab when I go to the properties on the drive in question

nor am i able to boot the pc up that the drive is from, as it's not working properly and needs a reformat.. it does boot into safe mode, but I've not been able to get the files from there, as it doesn't let me use the USB drive in safe mode.(i need to get the photos off the drive first tho... they are all of a deceased woman, and the only copies of the photos)

Posted 6 years ago

Eyevan

Your hard drive might be damaged. Did your BIOS detect the hard drive when you added it as a slave drive?

Who is the manufacturer of the hard drive? Most manufacturers will have hard disk utility tools available on their website to test their hard drives. They are usually ISO images to burn onto a CD. You boot your computer off the CD and run the tools. I would suggest downloading these tools and testing to see if the hard drive is damaged.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!