The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Usb Hard-drive won't eject

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by grannyGrump
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 35859 times

grannyGrump

Using a FireLight (Samsung) 60-gb external drive with about 15 gb free space, on XPPro SP3 desktop, and on Vista HP 64-bit laptop.

When I try to "remove hardware safely" I get message that drive is in use, try again later. No matter how many times I try to close it, it continues to stay "in use". Even after closing all applications and Explorer windows, and giving it plenty of time to finish writing data to the disk. After closing all apps, I can't tell from Task Manager if any services are specifically accessing the drive. Most often, I end up either using brute force (just unplug it anyway, not good at all!) or reboot the computer.

I tried setting it to "optimize for quick removal", but it seems to make no difference. My Western Digital Passport, ejects reasonably fast, with maybe 2 or 3 tries at most; my BusLink always ejects on first try.

Any help for me?
granny
(hoping for a solution)

Posted 5 years ago

Gruff

well one of the safest ways i can say if it wont safely remove is just wait till you shut the computer down then just unhook from the USB at the moment thats the best way i can think of you doing it if i find anything else thats better i will post and let you know :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Certain programs (e.g. imaging programs like Ghost or Acronis) can keep your drive "in use" even though you are not actively doing anything. The method suggested by Gruff is the safest.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

grannyGrump, hello! I have not tried this tool yet, and it is not free after your 30-day trial, but take a look at USB Safely Remove. They claim that this utility will show you which program is preventing the safe removal of your device and allow you to close it. If you decide to give it a try, I would be very interested to hear how it works for you.

I have seen this behavior with my external backup storage drive which is held open by Norton Ghost. What I do to safely remove it is Log Off of Windows before removing the backup drive. It's not very elegant, but is faster than a shutdown and cold boot.

Posted 5 years ago

grannyGrump

Hi folks, thanks to all of you for responding. Sorry to be so late to acknowledge, been offline over the weekend.

whs, I don't have any imaging or backup programs in use, so it's something else.

This only started a short while back when I started using the drive on my new Vista laptop, and I thought it was caused by the Vista explorer Search Indexing service, but the refusal to eject is happening on my XP desktop as well.
I also considered that it might be my anti-virus running an active scan. I have Macaffee on my Dell Vista laptop, and Norton's on the XP desktop. I'm kicking both of them to the curb this week, and install Avast on both machines. (no internet connection, so I don't need such elaborate suites.)

Just Logging Off and back on doesn't work, I have to actually reboot to get it to turn loose.

ScottW, thanks for the link, I will give that tool a try and see if I can identify the culprit, and report back my results.

Thanks much,
granny

Posted 5 years ago

grannyGrump

You can mark this one Semi-Solved.
My usb eject problems aren't really solved,
But thanks to the Usb Safely Remove tool that ScottW recommended, I have learned what is blocking the ejection.
---
On XP, it is almost always Windows Explorer locking things up, even if the selected drive in Explorer window is not the usb drive. Closing Explorer usually permits Safe Removal.
---
On Vista, the message only says "system" is accessing the drive.
I speculate that it might be the Vista Search Indexing process, OR it might be System Restore taking snapshots at that moment.
---
I guess I'll just have to put up with lots of re-boots.
:-(

Posted 5 years ago

cyberghost
cyberghost

I had the samething happens to me too but it was the drive itself that was a little mess up change over to a seagate hard drive then it well eject it's self. Just on some hard drive it well not....

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

You can turn off both Indexing, and Restore Points points for the drive. See if that makes a difference.

Posted 5 years ago

cyberghost
cyberghost

yeah you can do that as well. I don't know why microsoft have it set to default like that.

Just a test

How do you turn both of them off.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Indexing, you turn off in the drives Properties.
Restore Points, from within the Backup and Restore Center (that is not normally on by default tho').

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.