The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Usb Flash Drive Help!!!

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by roby11
  • Latest reply from roby11
  • Topic Viewed 1640 times

roby11

Hi What I am trying to accomplish is to plug in a usb flash drive to another computer and as soon as the computer turns on I want the computer to automatically play a video on my usb drive as a wallpaper.

I dont want anything to appear on the screen or have to click anything. Just to turn on the computer and the the video wallpaper playing. I know VLC player can play videos as wallpaper.

I need help!!!

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

Have you checked the Autoplay settings in Start > Control Panel for the flash drive?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

You'll have to create your own autoplay file. I'm not so good with that, but I'll look into it. If anyone else knows better, let me know.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

So to clarify you want something like VLC player to automatically set the wallpaper on the desktop to the video on the USB flash drive when you plug it in?
If so why do you want do that? Seems like an odd thing to do.
Also what OS do you have?

Posted 6 years ago

roby11

well heres the thing. Im a magician and Its for an illusion. I need it to work on any OS. Not just necessarily VLC though. I need help pretty bad

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

Something very odd. Check if you have any odd looking file or program in your USB flash drive. If nothing copy the contents to the computer. Rigth click on the flash drive letter and click on Format. Then copy the contents from the computer to the flash drive.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

If the illusion involves making a computer you don't control do something automatically with the installed OS then you are out of luck. Not all computers have autoplay turned on and some don't have to ability to correctly play videos without problems.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@Santo: The topic op doesn't have a problem with a drive auto playing like your reply would help with.
The topic op wants to set up auto play to launch a program.

Posted 6 years ago

roby11

heres an example of the illusion.

I just need to fit everything on to usb. Secretly plug it in from b
ehind and be all set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGDkgSGUv3g

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

Sorry abt the confusion.

Posted 6 years ago

roby11

its fine. I just need to know if someone could pull this off.

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

I watched the video and it is really amazing. Hope I could meet David Blaine and ask him. :)

Posted 6 years ago

roby11

David Blaine? haha its my illusion. If I get this thing pulled off he might use it on his upcoming special

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

Try to create a autorun.inf file in the root of the flash drive.

http://www.flashbay.com/en/sol.....torun.html
Check the steps given below "setting up the autorun"
Also check http://www.filesland.com/compa.....ditor.html

Not sure if this will work in a computer in which the autorun feature is turned off.

Posted 6 years ago

roby11

I dunno how to do any of that stuff. I guess Im screwed. I just want to get a movie played automatically from a usb and get it to automatically be playing on the wallpaper as soon as the computer starts. VLC can accomplish this on any OS so im not just limited to Windows vista ultimate? Anyone think they can help me get it done?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I don't think you can do it.
In Windows XP the autorun feature for USB drives isn't always turned on, in Windows Vista the autorun has been removed in favor of an autoplay popup that asks if you want to run the file on the drive, on Linux and I think Mac OS X there isn't a autorun feature at all.
As for doing it with a USB flash drive anyone who knows about autorun will not be impressed with anything odd being done on the computer after a USB drive was plugged in.

Posted 6 years ago

roby11

leave the impressing up to me. So no one here thinks its possible?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.