The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - usb device not recognized nothing plugged in

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by greymuzzle
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 11034 times

greymuzzle

running windows XP student 2002 service pack 3. Keep getting the error message that a usb device is not functioning and windows does not recognize it. Nothing is plugged in. The device driver information says there are no drivers installed for the unknown device which is not plugged in. The device is not always listed in device drivers.. Nothing is plugged in to a usb port except our epson printer which is recognized in control panel and is functioning properly. I have looked on google and get a wide variety of links but no solution. any help would be appreciated. greymuzzle

Posted 2 years ago

Paulus88
Paulus88

Is this a laptop, or a fancy computer with sd card slots built into it and all?
Did you reinstall windows recently?
And last question, what is the exact make and model of the system?

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

greymuzzle hi. Look in Device Manager, for an exclamation, or question mark.
It could be an internal USB device.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

greymuzzle, hi.
Please give us a rundown on your system, that would help, make and model (both machine and printer)

disconnect the printer, reboot. what happens now?

If ok, reconnect the printer and let windows install the printer and the card slot drivers. (Does the printer have SD card reader?)

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

to vistamike, LH,& Paulus88. My system is a tower computer name on tower is Enpower,definitely not a laptop, running windowsxp home ed,servpk3 AMD Althon(tm) 64 processor,3400+ 2.21ghz,2.43gb ram,phyextaddress hard drive 74.5 gb, 55.3 free space. I have disconnected printer rebooted still get error usb unknown device not recognized. There is nothing plugged into a usb port at this time. I can watch the device manager and see the unknown device appear and reappear. I disabled it and rebooted still comes back just as disabled. When I plug printer back in it is recognized in device manager and works fine. So I get the error even when there is nothing in a usb port. Windows is fully updated as far as I know(still learning about computers) and has not been recently installed. Hope this helps.

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

As has been mentioned, it could be an internal USB connection. Most likely a card reader.

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

I am not familiar enough with these internal usb connections to know what a next step would be. The printer in question is a Epson c88 pretty old by electronics standards. There is an sd card reader on the front of the computer. Not sure where you are trying to get me to go with your suggestions.Are you saying there are some device drivers that need updating?

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

You need to look in Device Manager.

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

Hi LH, When I look in device manager i find the unknown device and it says there are no drivers for this device. What are recommendations about dealing with this unknown device?

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

Try letting it do an online search for the driver,
And use this app (the free version) to let us know what your card reader is,
http://www.gtopala.com/

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

I installed the driver scanner and it says the only usb driver out of date is for a mass storage device realtek usb 2.0 card reader. AVG did notlike some of the connected programs I am going to install everything but the driver scanner.

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

What driver scanner ? I said the free SIW program.

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Scroll down for the freeware version.

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

The old man is slow on the uptake sometimes. The costly version says 9 drivers are out of date. I will go back and pay better attention when I get to the site Thanks Grey muzzle

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

The program showed 9 devices out of date. The realtek usb 2.0 card reader is one of them. supportd device is a mass storage device version 3.0.14. I am slow and new to this and do thank you for your help greymuzzle

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

LH I uninstalled the wrong program went to the site you suggested downloaded the Sim free version which installed SIW and uniblue. Uniblue says there are 14 ancient drivers. I have recorded all the information pertaining to USB.PCI to HOST CONTROLLER new version 2.04.0001.0 USB ROOT HUB new version 4.90.3000.2 USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE new version 6.0.6000.0070 USB TO IDE (unplugged) 5.00.2042.1 Microsoft was listed as the manufacturer for all these. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO UTILIZE THIS INFORMATION.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

greymuzzle.

You can download the drivers for the Realtek USB 2.0 card reader (mass storage driver) ver. 6.1.7600.30126_101027 here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/down.....Down=false

Choose the XP/Vista/7 driver.
Just Unzip and run "Setup.exe"

This should clear the "Unknown Device" in your Device Manager.

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

And uninstall the Uniblue program.

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

Thank you I appreciate your suggestions very much. My computer has become unstable so I am not sure how I will proceed from here. Greymuzzle learning

Posted 2 years ago

greymuzzle

To LH and G41M.I have successfully installed the program that G41M suggested but I cannot see where it has updated any of the drivers. Remember you are dealing with a rookie. I saw no option to actually run the program and am unsure if it is a command line function or what. Greymuzzle

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!