USB 3.0 Front Panel Header Card

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by n30g3n
  • Latest reply from Enthusiast
  • Topic Viewed 1752 times

n30g3n
n30g3n

Header PCI E Card

When i built my PC i got a motherboard that did not have a header port for the front panel USB 3.0 slot, which currently sits unused. would I be correct to assume this would remedy my issue? could anybody suggest other alternatives as well for similar products? i just need the internal header to plug into.

Posted 1 year ago

Santo
Santo

The PCI Card with USB ports shown in the site is only for rear side of the PC which connects using its chassis bracket and this card cannot be used for front panel.

If you could provide the motherboard specs then it is easier to check for its specs and suggest you if any alternate is available or not.

Posted 1 year ago

n30g3n
n30g3n

Well the reason i list that card is because it plugs directly into PCI slots, provides spare USB 3.0 ports, but on the inner portion of the card, there is a USB 3.0 header. I was wondering if that header would sever my purpose to run the front panel header to that slot and connect it correctly. The board is an Intel DP67BG

Posted 1 year ago

Santo
Santo

From the specifications it is not very clear if the internal USB headers(USB 3.0) can be used to directly connect to other USB Ports. However I recommend you to contact the manufacturer directly to get clarification on this. You may contact them either on email, chat or on phone from here.

Edit: The Intel Motherboard only has internal front port headers for USB 2.0, so the only option is to check with the manufacturer of the PCI card to find out if its header can be used to connect to the chassis front port.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ Santo. Go back to the OP's link and read the specs. The specs are a bit vague but the illustrations clearly show two external USB 3.0 ports and an internal USB 3.0 header.

@ OP. I don't have the experience to know for sure if the card would be compatible with your system but I did notice it requires power from a SATA power connector. If you don't have an extra SATA power connection on your cables, you would have to use a splitter to get it.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

@n30g3n. You can also get an adaptor which will allow you to connect your front USB 3 ports to one of your motherboard's USB 2 headers, giving you USB 2 support.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If Asus, you forgot to order these for your Build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813995010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817994080

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ raphoenix. Why would the OP need those? He already has a USB 3.0 front panel port. What he needs is is a USB 3.0 header to plug the port into. The gizmo you linked also would need the same header, which the OP's MOBO lacks.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LF,

I posted IF ASUS. The OP's MB is an Intel so my posting is NOT applicable. :(

The better Asus Gen 2 MBs shipped with the USB Front Box included.

The Asus Gen 3 MBs do not include the USB Front Box now.

There is a special 19 Pin MB header on Asus better MBs for the front Box.

Have to be an Asus Builder to understand. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@n30g3n,

The card you linked should work fine for supporting your front USB 3.0 ports, as well as providing USB 3.0 ports out the back. As long as you have room for it on the motherboard, and IF you have SATA power to run it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.