The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

USB 2.0 hubs

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by sailinshu
  • Latest reply from sailinshu
  • Topic Viewed 599 times

sailinshu

I'm trying to get the right speed out of my external DVD burner and have only 1.1 hubs on my computer. I was wondering if using a 2.0 hub would give me 2.0 speed?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

No. You cannot beat your computer's speed. But maybe you have a firewire on your PC. That would be a lot faster (if your DVD burner attaches to it).

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

sailinshu, a USB Hub generally refers to an external device that plugs into one of your existing USB ports and allows multiple devices to be plugged into the hub to share that port. This only allows your existing ports to handle more devices, but it does not change the speed. A USB 1.x port can only provide USB 1.x speeds no matter what kind of external hub is used.

What you might like is a new set of USB 2.0 root hubs, and ports, provided by an adapter card. Plug one of these into an open PCI slot and you can add USB 2.0 ports to your system. Here is a selection of such cards at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....der=RATING

Posted 5 years ago

sailinshu

Thanks very much. I was just wondering if I could upgrade my computer with those. Will look into it right away.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.