SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Uptake gap between Windows 8 and Vista Widens ....

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1449 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows XP users won't give up the aged operating system as 2014 retirement deadline approaches

Full Story:

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2013-04-01

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I got XP, Vista, and W7 machines running. Not giving any of them up until nothing works anymore.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, I'm just wasting SSDs with Windows 8 cause I never use it and lack knowledge about it.

Am going to re-image the Windows 8 SSD Arrays back to Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I'm all for new technology but, I pass on W8.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, Windows 8 is basically made for an Entertainment Touch Tablet Device.

If one needs to use Windows 8 Desktop Feature, then might as well use Real Desktop in Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

yep. A toy.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I use Windows 8 as my main computer. Just go directly to the desktop and you hardly know the difference from Windows 7. I used windows easy transfer from my old Windows 7 computer and it looks just the same.

Windows 8 and Discourse. What could be more fun!!!

I can see a lot of regular folks not moving forward, but not us real Geeks!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It is just the real geeks that are not going to move. I see very few people (geeks) who are willing to put up with /8.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I'm sorry, but W8 is W7 with some TABLET window dressing as far as I'm concerned.

Other than some application problems, basically nothing is insurmountable. Bypass, either manually, or with a free or nominal cost app, the Start Screen and you'd be hard pressed to tell you were on W8. Yeah, some stuff got moved, annoying menu's can pop out at you, but basically, once you've resolved the application problems or replace them, you are running W7 for all intents and purposes.

Someday W7 will go out of service anyway, why wait? No a business that has to upgrade umpteen workstations, re-write applications, test, and support it, that is another story.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Irv, you are basically right. One more reason to ask why they had to bless the users with a tablet UI. Who needs it on a PC.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Wolfgang, that one is EASY... but you must think a little 'differently' that just a single system. One word, SUPPORT, or SERVICE, if you prefer. Yeah, the s/w operates differently on different h/w, but the code would be the same base, maybe with some IFDEF's for compiling and IF statement for h/w or s/w version, but the base OS would be the same. Fix a file system problem once and done. Adding a 'new' feature, like Blue will, code once and done, vs. updating a few sets of source code. Usual problem is what does get fixed in one set of source code and then gets 'duplicated' in another set, doesn't work as that 2nd set had either slightly different code or something elsewhere that didn't work with the change.

That said, it would have been just as easy (Stardock knows how) to check if on a non-RT unit and if so, bypass the Start Screen... so you put down some extra code, who cares? Or make it an OPTION on install.

Although I boot to the Metro Start Screen I *RARELY* use anything there. Generally if at all I'd look at the stocks, news, sports, and not much else. I don't even LOOK for icons that were put there by program installs. First thing I do is click on the DESKTOP Live Tile and usually never go back. Created REBOOT and SHUTDOWN icons on my desktop and use those. I'm quite happy with STARTMENUX and use it like the old W7 Start Orb.

Like I said, other than some 'annoyances', like some h/w issues or where things have moved to in settings, I wouldn't know I was on W8.

Many Geeks WILL move because generally speaking, they ARE first adopter's and like to be living on the 'bleeding edge' of Technology. It is the ones with limited technical knowledge or motivation that will not move. Of course there are also those that are resistant to change too that will not change.

One thing going against W8 inroads to the install base. Computers today are not moving forward like they used too. My 'cutting' edge almost 4 year old system is FAST ENOUGH by today's standards. No new apps that require gobs of storage or speed have appeared. Not like 5 years (or so) ago where MS Flight Simulator X was released and most systems didn't have the CPU or Graphics capability to get full features out of it. Today that isn't the case, almost any new computer will do well, if not be equipped for full display and smooth speed for the program.

Even First Person shooters are no longer h/w restrained by today's computers, but more about network speed and lag.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Irv, you forgot about those who won't move because Win 8 is too cumbersome to use for serious applications, especially when multitasking.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

LF, like what? If you can do it on W7, you can do it on W8 as long as the applications can run under W8? I guess I don't understand? Can you explain more?

This 'assumes' you are on the desktop. The Windows Start Screen I recall can only show 2 apps, just like W7 would if you 'snap' apps to a side. Even if you should start an app from the Metro Start Screen it will usually open the desktop and start it there...

Of course, LARGE displays where you always have the taskbar showing and some open desktop area to quickly switch between some apps is always the best depending on how you position them on the display overlapping.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I don't buy the maintenance argument. The OS is structured in Layers and only the UI layer would have to be duplicated. Maintaining 2 UI layers would have been a small price to pay to make a billion PC users happy. That tablet UI we need as much as a shot in the knee - on a PC.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Ahh, but you again have to look at the BIG PICTURE Wolfgang. It isn't only a PC, it is the RT and Windows Phone that runs this OS. The lower level workings of ALL are the base OS.

You are also making my point, all MS had to do was start you at the Desktop and put back a START ORB, just like 3rd parties have done. You would NEVER see the Metro Start Screen or even KNOW that it existed. I suspect they might have left it like that so the PRO and RT look the same as start as well as any other W8 installation?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.