The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Upgrading to Windows 7

(30 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 3371 times

SarahJames

Just found out I can up my system to Windows 7 for only 17 euro, so I browsed around checking it out.
Everybody seems to be raving about it, but so far I haven't seen anything in it that makes me go all happy,
apart from being less of a resource hog than Vista, but my machine has no problems with the demands Vista makes, so for me that's nothing to worry about.

But LH has been bugging me to do a clean install for ages and for only 17 euro's oh well, I might as well give it a try and please LH in the process ;)

But ...
I dó have some questions.

1) I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit. What upgrade should I make?
I figured it made sense to get me the Home Premium edition of 7 too and stick to the 32 bit.
I run Paint Shop Pro X2 and it took me a while to get it up and running ok on Vista and I've seen other people running into trouble with 32 bit graphic software on 64 Windows, so I take it that makes 64 a no go for me.
Correct me if I'm wrong <LOL>.

2) I have a Dutch version of Vista. I can choose an upgrade in Dutch or in English.
I much prefer an English version. But will that work?
Or LH: you once gave me a link to a program that enables Vista to change the default language, but that didn't work on my current installation. Would it work on a fresh install and I could upgrade after that?

Which brings me to number 3:
3) is it necessary to do a clean install and then upgrade or can I upgrade anyway and keep all my files etc. ?
I have quite some apps from GAOTD which I don't want to loose :(
And I have about 200 plugins in my PSP folder which all of them have to be reinstalled if I do a fresh install. Takes me like forever ....

Thanks!
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Too many questions :)
Stick to 32bit.
Vistalizator does work in W7, but only on an English install.
Whether you can upgrade to the English version over a Dutch one, I don't know. Probably best to telephone MicroSoft NL.
Does the upgrade kill previously installed software ? Um, need a reply from someone who has already done it.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

1. I would go with 32bit. I have seen too much trouble with Win7 64bit (drivers, programs, etc.)
2. No problem to go to English. Just select the language during install - and also the keyboard.
3. A fresh install is by far the preferred solution.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

As I understand it, a Dutch upgrade will not give you the choice of English, and vice versa. So it's one or the other.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch

I upgraded to 7 and all my GAOTD work OK

Obviously they wont on a clean install

Windows 7 Ultimate has multiple language options

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Thanks guys - so we have a starting point ;)
I looked around a bit more and it seems 64 bit is mainly to speed things up, but I'm very pleased with the speed on my machine and compatibility is my main issue, so 32 bit it is for me ;)

Concerning the language: I have the choice between two cd's - one is Dutch version, the other English.
I haven't ordered it yet, while the 64 bit are already sold out and these are going fast, because I need to know which one to get.
On win98 I had installed IE5 English over the previous Dutch one and that meant I got mixed rightclick menu's.
Some things were Dutch, others English and some things showed up double.
I don't mind it being half half (ok all English would be better LOL), but I did mind the double entries. However some of those I could easily remove by means of the registry.

Concerning point three: I'm waiting to hear from someone who's upgraded and was succesfull <LOL>.

Edit: You were ahead of me Mfletch;)
Thanks! It's good to know I don't have to do a clean install!
Don't know if that will solve the SJphenomenon as LH calls it <LOL>, but I can at least give it a try.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Another question, mfletch: did you get to keep Windows Mail this way? Does that still work for you?

And the only version left for me at this point was Ultimate, 32 bit. So I ordered an English version five minutes ago.
Better be sure I have a copy, then wait too long and they're all sold out. <LOL>

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Sarah, I just found this link which may come in handy if you go the upgrade route. Also read the warnings at the beginning of the link describing the limitations.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch

Quote/ Another question, mfletch: did you get to keep Windows Mail this way?

Sorry I already had Windows live mail installed {recommended to use with 7}

With Ultimate I have these optional language updates.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Forget the language packages - what Sarah needs is the 5 language installation disk.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Sarah has already ordered Ultimate. That version always had nearly all the language options possible anyway.
The 5 language disk does not have Dutch on it.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

LH, I know. The 5 language pack has E, F, D, ESP and JAP (not sure). For ultimate that is the same - BuT Ultimate allows to install the language packs. That is not possible with the Home editions.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

It is possible with the Home editions, as long as an English version was installed first.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Hi Guys,

Haha, now I know what is different about Ultimate;)

But I have another question. How about the drivers?
Will the Vista drivers be enough?
From what I've seen so far this is not a problem and because it is an upgrade they all still work, but still ...
Need to think ahead ;)

My printer is making overtime, because I print out whatever tip or trick I might need if I run into trouble, because I have no other pc nearby I can use to check in when anything goes wrong.
Never mind that it will probably be a breeze ...
I've been living under Murphy's Law for ages now. I'm not taking chances <LOL>.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch

What Antivirus are you using.

7 Don t like kaspersky 2009 but if you do use this you can get a free upgrade to 2010

I had to reinstall kaspersky as it said {after 7 upgrade} its a new operating system so make sure you have your activation key handy.

Im just wondering if other paid for AV's do the same!

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Mfletch, I use Avira. Hopefully that won't act up, but otherwise, that should be easy to fix ;)
Either reinstall Avira or switch to MS Security Essentials and see if I like those.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Ok, guys, the dvd arrived yesterday, so I made a new backup, checked compatibility etc etc. All a ok and then I find I can't do an inplace upgrade, because I choose a different language version of Windows 7 :(

So I thought I'll use that easy transfer tool to get my data transfered after I've done a clean install.
But the extension is msu and it won't run for me.
How do I get that silly app to run?
I'm stuck now :(

And will this export my internetconnection too? I mean the stuff I got from my DSL provider? Because I remember having a hell of a time getting that to work and I don't know where to find the password etc etc anymore.
Must be somewhere on this pc I can find it too ...

Posted 4 years ago

absurd

Well, I had Windows XP 32-bit and clean installed a Windows 7 32-bit. I was urgently suggested to make a back-up, but I don't see the point. My Windows 7 automatically made an old folder in Cdrive called Windows.old. All my old files were there, so I could easily transfer them. I did not need my external harddrive at all!
As for the internetconnection, I had no problem. In fact, I could immediately internet right after I installed it. Keep everything plugged in and it should work I guess. I got KPN Direct ADSL (Dutch).

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Hi Absurd,

That was what I had in mind too - do an inplace install and I wouldn't have to worry about a thing.

But my Vista came preinstalled and is a Dutch version and I prefer an English version.
So I got me a Windows 7 Ultimate in English.

And that's just it - it won't let me do an inplace upgrade, but I have to do a custom install, which means my files etc will be overwritten. And that means I might as well do a clean install.
I've been wanting to do a clean install for a long time, due to some small, but annoying problems in Vista, but I simple don't have the time to do it. I have a lot of apps I need to transfer with a lot of finetuned settings and I will have to redo them all and I need this pc for my work.

I have Online ADSL. I have the cd and all to reinstall it, but can't find the password /codes I need. Should be on this pc but I can't find it:(
I've exported everything else - msn contacts, Windows Mail + settings etc. etc. - so I figure there should be a way to export these settings too.
Just can't find it.
Rather stressed by now <LOL>.

Cheers,
Sarah

Posted 4 years ago

absurd

Hmm, I don't know about that. Hopefully somebody else can help you out.
You do not have to back-up your msncontacts anyway, they're saved on your msnaccount.
Take a look at the Online ADSL website to see if there's an option to transfer the settings. Obviously, you need to find the passwords and codes as well.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.