The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

upgrading to 64-bit

(21 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by gelf51
  • Latest reply from JH
  • Topic Viewed 3102 times

gelf51

Haven't been able to find an answer to this question, hopefully you guys can help. My computer is currently running vista home premium 32-bit. If I purchased the windows 7 professional upgrade, can I do a custom install to windows 7 professional 64-bit using the 64 bit disc that comes with the package, or do I have to buy the full version of windows 7 professional?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Hi gelf. First question would be why go 64 bit ?

Posted 4 years ago

gelf51

To take advantage of more memory.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Second question then. Are you sure you can find 64 bit drivers for all your hardware and software ?

Posted 4 years ago

gelf51

yes, I've checked on all that

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt

i've upgraded my computers to 64 bit, most drivers needed were found at the programs website so far. the only thing that's came up is malwarebyte scan finds an infection in a clean install. removing it makes windows explorer unstable, reinstalling the item from malwarebytes quarantine made my system work properly. this happened on both computers

Posted 4 years ago

LH

0zSpitt. Might be handy to post that false positive.

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt

i'll have to run the malwarebyte scan again, hole don...

Highjack.DisplayProperties
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Posted 4 years ago

gelf51

Can somebody answer my question about whether the 64-bit update disc will work in this case?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

From what I know, you can.
But. I have also seen that might kill your 32 bit licence. So if the 64 doesn't work, then you may have problems going back to 32.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

0z, No other info ?
What do you have in,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt

i just put out what malwarebytes claimed to be malware.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

0z. Does MBAM tell you any more in it's logs ?

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt

thats where i copied it from, LH.

gelf51, install the 64 bit cd and run it, if your programs aren't compatible install the 32 bit version. with the hundreds of thousands of programs people use, its hard to say what will work this early in the 64 bit install

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

64 bit versions are quite different from 32 bit versions. Main difference is the disk layout and program locations. 64 bit versions have

PROGRAM FILES
PROGRAM FILES (x86)
a lot of WOW* folders with 64 bit specific files

Some 32 bit programs will not run under the 64 bit and you'll be replacing them probably.

There is some question if you can even do this? About the only way seems to be a CUSTOM install, see THIS MS ANSWER THREAD.

Here is a link from some one WHO DID IT but they had to use the migration tool and he explained the process. Note the list of programs that needed to be re-installed to get 64 bit versions.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

SuzieQCanada

Not to add too much confusion here - but I asked a computer salesman yesterday about using Windows 7 64 bit version. My laptop runs Windows Vista Home Edition 32 bit. His question was why would I want to do that as 64 bit is really for people who do extensive photo editing, autocad stuff and then what stopped me in my tracks is will my processor handle 64 bit. I haven't seen that addressed in any of the posts here. Any thoughts or clarification?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Hi SuzieQ, welcome. Most processors these days can handle 64 bit. If you want to make sure yours can, either go to the Intel or AMD main site to check, or post what processor you have here, and one of us will check for you. But please post it in a New Topic.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs

OK, first all, I´m sorry gelf51 your topic has been hijacked bigtime!! LH and OzSpitt, be ashamed of yourselves ;) SuzieQCanada, please post a new topic and I will answer your question. gelf51, I have been running a 64 bit OS for the last 2 years and have never had any major problems, at the end of the day it´s up to the software you use, not the hardware.Matt

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Hey...I object :) I have taken 0zSpitt to a new topic, and SuzieQ's was relevant, and only needed a 1 post answer.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs

gelf51, let´s get your question answered, then please stick around for a bit, it´s a way of life at HTG!!! Matt

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.