The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Upgrading the Power Supply

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by tillmcg
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1789 times

tillmcg

Bought an HP Pavillion a6500f (not great but got it cheap in a back to school tax-free deal), to play any decent games I need to up the graphics card (going with a GeForce 8500GT, again cheap), but in order to do that I need to upgrade the 250 watt power supply. I bought a CoolMax CA-400 (400 watt), but after installing it, when I push the power button the system comes on for only a second or less then shuts off again...HELP!!!

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

tillmcg,

Welcome to The HTG Forums.

(ENSURE) the CPU Fan is connected to power (Plugged-in).

Please Post Back With Results.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥

Posted 6 years ago

tillmcg

When I unplugged the original power supply there were 4 cables conneted: one large one plugged into the montherboard, one four pin also plugged into the motherboard near the cpu, one into the dvd drive, and one into the harddrive. I made sure I made the same connections with the new psu; when I started having the problem described above with the new psu I took it out and put the old one back in and the computer booted up fine. I made sure they were both ATX psu's but is there come other reason that the new psu wouldn't work (motherboard compatibility, etc...)?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

tillmcg,

Put the old power suppy back in.

Please Post Back With Results.
Kindest Regards, (Waiting)
Rick P. ♥

Posted 6 years ago

tillmcg

I did and it works fine with old power supply, but I need the new power supply to run the new graphics card; do you think there is something wrong with the new power supply or could there be some reason why the new power supply wouldn't work with my computer?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

tillmcg,

Very Good.

Testing the new PS with a meter without loading the new PS could give a false / positive result and you have no way of correctly loading the new PS anyway.

If (every) connector on the new PS (exactly) matches the connectors on the old PS (AND) you have the new PS connected (exactly) like the old PS is connected, then I'm 99% sure the new PS is defective and should be returned for another.

Post back after you exchange the PS.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.