How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Upgrading RAM in 5 year old computer

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 4049 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

My computer is somewhat old, but is still a very good home/office computer.
It currently has 640MB of DDR (PC 2700).

I am considering upgrading the RAM to 2GB (the maximum), depending on the cost. If I do decide to do this, I will definitely get budget RAM (ie Kingston budget RAM)

So my question is, what is the fastest speed of RAM I can put in my computer? Do I have to put PC 2700 back in, or do I only need to make sure it is DDR?

If any more information is needed on my computer, just ask.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Scan your machine,
http://www.crucial.com/

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Well the scan was somewhat confusing. My motherboard supposedly only supports 2GB, but the scan says it supports 3GB. My motherboard only has two slots, which the scan confirms, but displays suggestions that involve four slots.

I did find though that it will support PC 3200, so technically, I guess I got my answer.

Thanks Scott.

*Update*

I ran the check by selecting my manufacture model, and it lists PC 2700 so I am back to square one.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Did you try looking up the system specs on the manufacturer's website? If this is a built-it-yourself system, then you would look up the motherboard specs. This all assumes that a 5 year old board or system would still be listed, which may be a stretch. I have never gotten a motherboard without a manual that specifies the type of RAM. Such a manual might be a PDF file on a CD, a hardcopy booklet, or both.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest available for that MOBO?? The reason I ask is because I think the BIOS sets a limit on the amount of RAM that can be installed. But maybe the crucial scan took that into account. I don't know for sure. ScottW may be able to shed more light on that.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

It is a eMachines T3092
http://www.emachines.com/suppo.....odel=T3092

It was shipped with 512MB of DDR PC 2700 and listed as having a limit of 2GB.

I would like to upgrade the RAM, and because the difference is very minimal at this point, I was going to put PC 3200 in it, if it would accept it and run it as PC 3200.

I have updated the BIOS.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

To be honest, with DDR RAM the speed will have no impact on the price. If it is too fast for your machine, It just run at a slower rate, so get the fastest RAM you can at your desired price point.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!